Statistics: Duke University LibrariesARL STATISTICS QUESTIONNAIRE, 2002/2003
Volumes in Library:
1a. Volumes held June 30, 2002 (Exclude microforms, uncataloged govt. docs., maps, a/v material)*_5,234,338_
2. Volumes added during year -- Gross (Exclude microforms, uncataloged govt. docs., maps, a/v material.)_131,051_
2a. Volumes withdrawn during year (Exclude microforms, uncataloged govt. docs., maps, a/v material.)_5,086_
3. Volumes added during year -- Net * _125,965_
1. Volumes held June 30, 2003 _5,360,303_
4. Number of monographic volumes purchased* (Volumes for which expenditures are reported on line 16. )_76,371_
5. Number of current serials, including periodicals, purchased _35,963_
6. Number of current serials, including periodicals, received but not purchased (exchanges, gifts, deposits, etc.) _2,149_
7. Total number of current serials received _38,112_
Other Library Materials. Total number of pieces held June 30, 2003:
8. Microform units _4,256,544_
9. Government documents not counted elsewhere _1,245,919_
10. Computer files_7,628_
11. Manuscripts and archives (linear ft.)* _42,003_
14. Audio* _44,920_
15. Film and Video*_52,923_
EXPENDITURES Reported in Canadian dollars? No
16. Monographs (Expenditures for volumes reported on line 4) _4,065,308_
17. Current serials including periodicals _7,684,014_
18. Other library materials (e.g., microforms, a/v, etc.)* _64,949_
19. Miscellaneous (All materials fund expenditures not included above)_731,572_
20. Total library materials _12,545,843_
21. Contract binding _289,059_
Salaries and Wages
22. Professional staff *_7,482,978_
23. Support staff _4,750,896_
24. Student assistants* _638,014_
25. Total salaries and wages* 12,871,888_
26. Other operating expenditures* _6,088,803_
27. Total library expenditures* _32,315,593_
28. Professional staff, FTE _141_
29. Support staff, FTE _163_
30. Student assistants, FTE _44_
31. Total FTE staff _348_
32. Number of library presentations to groups _992_
Figure based on sampling? No
33. Number of total participants in group presentations reported on line 32 _10,362_
Figure based on sampling? No
34. Number of reference transactions _114,075_
Figure based on sampling? Yes
35. Number of initial circulations (excluding reserves) *_340,109_
36. Total circulations (initial and renewals, excluding reserves)*_546,063_
37. Total number of filled requests for materials provided to other libraries _45,695_
38. Total number of filled requests for materials received from other libraries _17,293
39. Number of Ph.D.s awarded in FY 2002-2003 _219_
40. Number of fields in which Ph.D.s can be awarded _42_
FACULTY (See instruction Q41)
41. Number of full-time instructional faculty in FY 2002/2003 _908_
ENROLLMENT - FALL 2002 (TOTALS)
42. Full-time students, undergraduate and graduate _12,105_
43. Part-time students, undergraduate and graduate_383_
44. Full-time graduate students _5,958_
45. Part-time graduate students_324__
LOCAL CHARACTERISTICS or ATTRIBUTES
46. Basis of volume count is: X Physical _____ Bibliographic
47. Government documents are included in count of Current Serials. No
48. Fringe benefits are included in expenditures for salaries and wages. No
49. Law Library statistics are included. Yes
50. Medical Library statistics are included Yes
51. Other main campus libraries included: [list in "Footnotes" below].
52. Branch Campus Libraries. (See paragraph six of the "General Instructions")
Figures include branch CAMPUS libraries: Yes We have only one campus.
If branch campus libraries are included, please specify which campuses in "Footnotes" below.
If branch campus libraries are not included, please specify which campuses in "Footnotes" below.
#2 Increase due to bar-coding of History of Medicine journals in the Medical Center Library.
#2a Decrease due to the withdrawal of fewer volumes in the Perkins library.
#3 Increase due to the bar-coding of History of Medicine journals in the Medical Center Library and a decrease in volumes withdrawn during the year.
#4 Increase due to a significant increase in acquisition's processing in the Perkins library.
#12 Decrease due to an increased amount of withdrawn cartographic items from the map collection.
#13 Decrease due to major weeding because of age and more accurate information from DRA report in the Medical Center Library.
#18 Decrease due to significant budget cute in the Medical Center Library.
#43 Increase due to a normal variation of part-time graduate student enrollment influenced by various factors.