Digital collections originate as proposals submitted by curators or others. DPC staff participate in developing and completing these collections at every stage. Here is a much-simplified overview of our role.
During selection, we...
- Assist project sponsors in developing a workable proposal
- Advise on project goals and scanning standards
- Manage relationships with digitization vendors
In pre-scanning preparation, we...
- Analyze how physical materials are organized and housed
- Identify and count each item, component, and subcomponent to be scanned
- Consult conservators on appropriate handling requirements
- Complete a scan-by-scan digitization guide
During digital reformatting, we...
- Scan each item to create a master TIF image
- Evaluate the quality of each image
- Complete rescans as needed
- Generate derivatives