Develop and coordinate the implementation of a content strategy for Duke’s Online Education Initiatives, as well as support that strategy by identifying and generating stories that feature the impact of Duke’s experiments in online learning. This position is a 12 month appointment.
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of a content strategy for Duke’s Online Education Initiatives: managing the Initiatives’ branding and online presence (including its website) and delivering the Initiatives’ message to desired audiences through online networks and other channels. Audiences include campus community, alumni, other universities, and external press.
- Conceptualize, research, and develop written stories, multimedia pieces, and social media posts to publicize Duke online learning projects and their impact.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with University faculty, deans, administrators, staff, Duke News & Communication, and external contacts; consult with these stakeholders on publicizing Duke online education activities, trends, and impacts.
- Monitor and analyze developments in higher education, online learning, technology, and major issues of the day to inform the communications strategy for Online Education Initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned
It is the expectation that a successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities, including: customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: B.A./B.S. in communications or related field.
- 3 years in PR and communications role
- Demonstrated excellence in using digital and social media in an organization with a strong external presence
- Experience generating and implementing a communications strategy for a program or organization
- A journalist’s eye and instinct for stories that are unique, trending, and/or likely to be of broad interest
- Demonstrated ability to write for a variety of audiences—from blog posts to more scholarly writing; experience writing online
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with various stakeholders and the media
- Excited about innovation and new technology
- Experience working as an adaptable member of a team in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Experience working in higher education
- Familiarity with trends in educational technology, emerging online education models, and issues in higher education
- Graphic design experience
- Web design experience
- Experience in producing multimedia stories
- Normal office environment
- Attendance at occasional events outside of normal work hours
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the William R. Perkins Library and its branches: Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly, Music, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke’s library holdings of 6.1 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/ - refer to Requisition # 400845585. Review of applications will begin in late June and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Duke University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.