Queen Street, Martinsburg, W. Va. This view of Martinsburg's main business artery looks north and was taken a little north of the public square. The street was named for Queen Charlotte, wife of George III, King of England at the time Martinsburg was laid out in 1773. At the public square Queen Street intersects King Street. The town as originally surveyed comprised 130 acres, divided into 279 lots. This land was owned by General Adam Stephen, founder of the town. When the Revolution began in 1775 Martinsburg had but 150 inhabitants, one per cent of the present population of approximately 15,000. ("Published by Shenandoah Publishing House—Strasburg, Virginia. Copyright 1925 by Shenandoah Publishing House.")

blog comments powered by Disqus