Washington Duke formerly opened Oct. 21, 1925, at banquet attended by some 500 people. Name later changed to Jack Tar Hotel, a part of Jack Tar chain. Name again changed, this time to Durham Hotel. Adjoining office building was erected on site of post office that was replaced to new building at the northwest corner of Chapel Hill St. & Rigsby Ave. ("Charles H. Cooper, Photographer. Herald-Sun Papers, Durham, N.C.")

blog comments powered by Disqus