In 1942 there was an extant inventory of 535,000 vehicles. This certificate permited applicants who had purchased a car which had not been delivered prior to Jan. 1, 1942 to complete the purchase of the vehicle. Part A showed that the bearer was eligible to purchase a car. Part B was for registration. Individuals were required to provide written proof of purchase or a title or registration for the car. Part C for the dealer, Part D sent to the OPA inventory unit in New York and Part E was to be retained by the car owner.