Reporting to Head of IT Core Services, the Senior IT Analyst will work within an applications management team that provides technical support for the current-generation integrated library systems (Exlibris' Aleph), and automated systems used by the staff and patrons of the library. S/He will provides leadership, development and analysis toward the onboarding of the the next-generation library management services (Kuali OLE) within an integrated university technology environment.
- Performs day-to-day maintenance and support activities of the various components of Duke University Libraries integrated library system (ILS) by monitoring a ticket tracking system, troubleshooting, scheduling and monitoring regular jobs, installing software upgrades, documenting local implementation decisions, and providing database and system administration support as required.
- Performs detailed analysis and design of new systems, and modifies the design of existing ones to meet the needs of library system users.
- Serves as technical specialist and consultant with particular mastery of ILS tools, Application Programming Interfaces, and ILS configuration tables; develops and document programs and scripts that extend system functionality and automate routine tasks; supports the development of progressively improved proof of concept demonstrations of functionality to be delivered; works with technical staff from other university departments to integrate enterprise technology tools with Duke University Libraries' computing infrastructure.
- Designs and writes custom and complex report generation code in response to staff requests.
- Works with departments throughout the Library to determine policy for utilization and configuration of ILS software, identifies unmet functional requirements, develops specifications, evaluates available software or provide advice on in-house development in support of Library activities and services reliant upon ILS-supported systems.
- Plays a critical role in installing, implementing and maintaining the Kuali OLE system as a replacement for the current ILS; develops technical solutions for the Kuali OLE implementation and follow-on projects; facilitates and ensures common understanding across Library IT stakeholders of the technology, platform requirements and overall technical vision during design activities.
- Maintains current awareness of trends and issues relative to library information technology and supported applications.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Library staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative
problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: BA/BS in computer science or a related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred: MIS or MLS from ALA-accredited program, or an equivalent advanced degree in computer science or a related field.
- Demonstrated competence in programming and command scripting;
- Extensive experience with UNIX/Linux;
- Experience with SQL and XML/XSL technologies;
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming and especially Java;
- Strong service orientation;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Prior experience supporting IT in an academic research library;
- Experience with Ex Libris’s Aleph ILS;
- Minimum three years’ experience in application development in a J2EE environment using JAVA and Java Servlet API;
- Demonstrated experience with MVC development frameworks (Spring preferred), version control and application deployment (Subversion, Maven, Ant), Servlet Containers (Tomcat, Glassfish, & Jetty), application server and Java Virtual Machine configuration;
- Experience working in a Linux server environment;
- Experience with relational database design, development and use including Oracle, MySQL;
- Experience with search engine architectures such as Apache Lucene and Apache Solr and applications such as VuFind.
- Familiarity with the Kuali OLE project
- Knowledge of PERL.
- Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is possible
- Normal office environment
- Occasional weekend shifts required
- Occasional travel required
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/main.html - refer to Requisition # 400663559. Review of applications will begin in Mid-March and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Duke University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. The Duke University Library System has a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.