Benjamin N. Duke, Oil on canvas, 29" x 40," by C. A. Wiltschek
Benjamin N. Duke (1855-1929), was a director of the American Tobacco Company, headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, and made many gifts to Trinity College, which was later renamed Duke University. His financial donations enabled the institution to move from Randolph County to Durham and to remain financially solvent both before and after 1924, when his brother, James Duke, granted a substantial endowment to the University, thus assuring its financial future. Benjamin married Sarah P. Duke; they had one son, Angier B. and one daughter, Mary [later Mary Duke Biddle]. More information on Benjamin Duke can be found in the article, "Remembering Ben Duke", by University Archivist, William E. King. This portrait hangs on the wall to the left and opposite the main desk in the lobby.
Wiltschek also painted a portrait of Mrs. Benjamin Duke (Sarah P.), which hangs in the north foyer on Lilly Library's second floor.
Unless otherwise specified on this page, this work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.