Articles and Databases
Connect to research databases where you can find full-text articles, or search multiple databases at once through the metasearch tool.
Connect to electronic journals. Please note that the e-journals tool does not include all journals available at Duke. In order to find out whether Duke subscribes to a particular journal (in print or online), check the library catalog.
e-Journals by Subject
Connect to electronic journals specific to the following disciplines:
Film and Video
- Film Indexes Online searches the American Film Institute (AFI) and the Film Index International (FII) databases at the same time. AFI documents 45,000 films or videos made in the United States from 1893 to 1970 (except 1951 to 1960). Films can be searched by keyword, film title, cast, crew, character name, subject, genre, release year, and more. Most records include extensive plot summaries.
- Film Index International (FII) is based on the Summary of Film and Television (SIFT) database collated by the BFI over the past 70 years. With a scholarly, inclusive approach to all areas of film studies, from the very first silent movies, to art house classics or the latest blockbusters, this database provides in-depth indexing of over 90,000 international films as well as biographical information on over 40,000 film personalities. FII includes coverage of international film awards and prizes in all film genres, bibliographic references to film-related articles, as well as searchable plot summaries and full cast and crew lists.
- ARTstor provides access to a large collection of images covering art, architecture, and archaeology for many time periods and cultures. Software tools support viewing and analyzing images through features such as zooming and panning, saving groups of images online for personal or shared uses, and creating and delivering presentations both online and offline.
- Grove Art Online covers every aspect of the visual arts – painting, sculpture, graphic arts, architecture, decorative arts, and photography – from prehistory to the present day. Contains 45,000 articles by more than 6,800 scholars and includes more than 130,000 fine art images from the Bridgeman Art Library as well as thousands of external image links.
- International Index to the Performing Arts (IIPA) covers music (including opera), dance, film, drama, theater, stage design and puppetry. Coverage is international. IIPA currently indexes over 200 journals as well as biographical profiles, conference papers, obituaries, interviews, discographies, reviews and events. This index does not cover books or monographs in this field.
- POIESIS provides the full-text of current, recent, and back issues of thirty-five (and growing) philosophy journals, which can be search as a group or individually. Some journals have "restricted display," meaning that only paragraphs containing search results will be displayed and browsing is limited to the table of contents.
- Philosopher's Index indexes and abstracts books and over 400 journals in philosophy. It also covers ethics, aesthetics, social philosophy, political philosophy, epistemology, and metaphysic logic as well as material on the philosophy of law, religion, science, history, education, and language.
- PastMasters: Philosophy Works on the Web provides the full text of classic scholarly editions of the complete works of many philosophers: Anselm, Aquinas, Aristotle, British philosophy (1600 to 1900), Continental Rationalists, Hegel, Hume, Kant, Locke, Luther, Nietzsche, Ockham, Peirce, Plato, political Philosophy (Machiavelli to Mill), Santayana, and Wittgenstein. Each word of each text is fully searchable.