What you need to know before you begin your search:
Some materials held by the Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library and by University Archives are located in the LSC. To request these materials, you must use a special online request system called the "UNC/Duke Special Collections Library Request System."
- Please note that if you are using this sytem for the first time, you should log-in using your NetID and password and fill out the "New Researcher Registration" form, which appears as soon as you log-in. After you have completed your registration, close the screen and search for your item via Books & More.
- If you have registered previously, begin the search for your item via Books & More.
- It takes 2 full business days for us to retrieve and deliver items to the Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library Reading Room, which is where you will view the items. Make sure you submit your requests in advance of your visit.
How to request Rubenstein Library & University Archives items from the LSC:
- Search for the title via Books & More. You will see a list of results on the following screen. Note the location of an item by looking under the "Location" heading in title's entry. For example, this Rubenstein Library title is located at the Library Service Center:
- Click the "Get this title" truck icon.
- Click the “Request for onsite use” link under the "GetIt @ Duke" column for the item you want.
- You will be redirected to the special online request system called the "UNC/Duke Special Collections Library Request System." Click the "Sign In" button.
- You will be redirected to a new screen with a form that is pre-populated with your book information. Click the form field to the right of the heading "Date Item Needed." A calendar will pop up. Click the day you plan to visit the Rubenstein Library.
- Click the "Submit Request" button.
- Please note that you must request items individually. Staff will retrieve Rubenstein Library & University Archives items from the LSC and deliver them to the Rubenstein Library Reading Room. You will receive an email notification when your items arrive.