Get Research Help
Read Getting Started with the Libraries Guide to get an overview of how best to find and use library resources in your research.
- Access Marine Science focused resources in the Marine Sciences research guide.
To locate a book in the Duke University Libraries system:
- Conduct an online search.
- Request books that you cannot find at the Marine Lab Library from one of the libraries in the Duke University Libaries system. Your book will arrive within 3 days.
To locate a book that is not located in Duke University Libraries:
- Request the book from the Triangle Research Libraries, a lending consortium among Duke, North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Your book will arrive in 3-7 days.
- Request book chapters through Document Delivery Services. You will receive your chapter electronically.
- Find library materials housed in national and international libraries via WorldCat. Search for the title in WorldCat, and click the resulting link from the search results. You will see a small, green "Request item" button. Click the icon to request the title. You will receive your item within 1-2 weeks.
Find Journal Articles & Other Resources
- Search the vast resources available to you from "Articles" under the "Search & Find" link on the library home page.
- Exclude or include resources in search results through the list of refinements from the left pane.
Find databases that include literature relevant to Marine Sciences and Policy Studies listed below. Access full-text articles from the embedded "GetIt @ Duke" link. Articles not available online should be requested through Document Delivery.
Discipline oriented research databases
Agricola: Journal literature, federal and state documents and reports on academic and applied life sciences including fisheries research.
GeoRef: Journal literature, conference proceedings, books and e-books related to geology and earth sciences, including coastal and marine geology, hydrogeology and hydrology.
PAIS International: Journal literature, government documents and books on public policy.
SciTech Collection ( includes ASFA/Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts): Journal literature, government documents and conference proceedings on aquaculture, freshwater and marine biology, marine biotechnology and marine policy.
Sociological Abstracts: Journal literature, conference proceedings, books, etc. in the social sciences.
- Zoological Record: Covers all aspects of the zoological literature back to 1864.
Multi-disciplinary research databases
Academic Search Complete: Journal literature, newspapers (New York Times, Wall Strett Journal, Christian Science Monitor, etc.). This database provides substantial full-text materials.
Environment Complete: Broad coverage of journal literature on environmental topics such as agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, geography, law, marine and freshwater science, natural resources, pollution & waste management, public policy, renewables, social impacts & urban planning and technology.
Academic OneFile: Journal literature, popular press magazines and newspapers. This database provides substantial full-text materials.
Web of Science: Journal literature of all major scientific disciplines (natural sciences, social sciences, arts & humanities).
- Access Duke University dissertations and theses as well as a global collection of disserations and theses (many full-text from 1997 to today).
- Locate Nicholas School of the Environment Master's Projects via DukeSpace, searchable by topic, date, etc.