Online Music Resources
Journal and Research Tools
- Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology
- International database for completed dissertations and new dissertation topics in the fields of musicology, music theory, and ethnomusicology, as well as in related musical, scientific, and humanistic disciplines. Includes, and continues, the work of the discontinued Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology.
- Grove Music Online
- Grove Music Online includes the full text of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (second edition), The New Grove Dictionary of Opera and The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz (second edition).
It covers all aspects of music, including composers, performers, other persons involved with music, terminology, musical genres and forms, orchestras, institutions, and cities and towns with significant musical traditions. The Dictionary is international in scope, and covers both classical and popular music. Bibliographies, images, sound files, and links to related sites are provided for many articles.
- International Index to Music Periodicals Fulltext
- Covers classical music, pop and popular music, rock, rap and hip-hop, blues, jazz, traditional and folk music, world music, music equipment and technology, recording techniques and technology, and the music, radio, and music video industries.
- International Index to Performing Arts
- Covers music (including opera), dance, film, drama, theater, stage design and puppetry.
- Full text coverage of nearly three dozen music periodicals.
- Music Index Online
- Covers classical and popular music, including musicological and organological topics, past and present personalities, the history of music, forms and types of music, musical instruments from the earliest times to modern electronic instruments, and computer-produced music.
- Periodicals Index Online
- Indexes thousands of selected periodicals (including 133 music titles) in the humanities and social sciences from their first issues to 1995.
- Project Muse
- Full text coverage of almost one dozen music periodicals.
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
- Indexes articles, books, conference proceedings, bibliographies, catalogues, dissertations, festchriften, iconographies, critical commentaries to complete works, ethnographic recordings and videos, reviews and more.
- RIPM: Retrospective Index to Music Periodicals (1800-1950)
- Covers roughly 65 primarily nineteenth-century music journals--published in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Germany, Hungary, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Spain, Sweden and the United States.
- RISM: International Inventory of Musical Sources after 1600
- RISM includes more than 380,000 works by over 18,000 composers found in over 595 libraries and archives in 31 countries. Records include information in standard bibliographic categories as well as graphical images of over 506,000 musical incipits. Focuses mainly on the time period 1600-1850.
The following tools include some music coverage to varying degrees.
- African American Song
- Documents the history of African American music by providing streaming audio access to genres such as jazz, blues, gospel, ragtime, folk songs, and narratives.
- American Memory Project: Performing Arts, Music
- Sheet music, recordings, images, correspondence and other items in a number of collections including: African American music, American Indian music, sound recordings and the recording industry, Leonard Bernstein, the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln, Aaron Copland, flutes, folk music from various regions, Woody Guthrie, Hispanic music, jazz, and more.
- Provides access to a large collection of images covering art, architecture, and archaeology for many time periods and cultures. Music History resources in ArtStor
- Classical Music Library
- Licensed recordings that users listen to on the Internet. The audio selections are cross-referenced to a database of supplementary reference information, including program notes, composer biographies, recommended playlists, and images.
- Historic American Sheet Music
- Provides images of 3,042 pieces of sheet music published in the United States between 1850 and 1920. The collection represents a wide variety of music types, including bel canto, minstrel songs, protest songs, sentimental songs, patriotic and political songs, plantation songs, Civil War songs, spirituals, dance music, songs from vaudeville and musicals, "Tin pan alley" songs, and songs from World War I. The collection is particularly strong in antebellum Southern music, Confederate imprints, and Civil war songs. See also American Song Lyrics and the Sheet Music Index
- LexisNexis Academic Search Page
- Provides full text access to a wide range of U.S. and international newspapers, radio and television transcripts.
- New York Times (1851-3yrs ago)
- CPM plus (Music in the British Library) — link to Web-CD
- Provides the contents of the music catalogs maintained in the British Library reading rooms. The emphasis is on classical music, but jazz and popular music are also represented. Corresponds to the Catalogue of Printed Music in the British Library to 1980, the Current Music Catalogue (1981-1996), and the Supplement to the Catalogue of Printed Music (an unpublished catalog of printed music pre-1981). Contains over 780,000 entries and cross references.
- Contains more than 40 million records describing items owned by libraries around the world. Each record contains library holdings. Describes these types of items: books, computer data files, computer programs, films and slides, journals, magazines, manuscripts, maps, musical scores, newspapers, sound recordings, and videotapes. WorldCat does not list articles from journals, books, newspapers, etc.
Last modified January 29, 2012 5:56:49 PM EST