- What is it?
- China: Trade, Politics & Culture is a database that provides an extensive variety of digitized primary materials about China’s interactions with the West from 1793-1980.
- What does it include?
- China: Trade, Politics & Culture contains original manuscripts, images, essays, interactive maps, and rare printed materials written in English that give a unique view of Chinese history.
- Why use it?
- Browse documents written in English by a wide variety of people including politicians, diplomats, missionaries, business people and tourists.
- Read letters related to the first Opium War, survivors descriptions of the Boxer War, and diaries that describe events such as the Taiping Rebellion and the Korean War.
- Search missionary periodicals including The Chinese Recorder, Light and Life Magazine, and The Land of Sinim: the North China Mission Quarterly Paper.
Click here to search this Duke University Libraries’ database.
Have questions? Save time, Ask a Librarian!