Preparing your application
To be considered for a 2015 Holsti Prize, email the following as a SINGLE FILE to Catherine Shreve by May 15, 2015:
- application cover sheet (see form)
- paper including bibliography and appendices
- faculty letter of support (see form). A faculty member or the applicant may send this form.
Political Science or Public Policy
For your paper to be considered for the Holsti Prize, you must write it for a Duke course, thesis or independent study designated as political science or public policy.
You must use primary sources in your paper. You may use primary sources in any format (print, microform, digitized, in a database).
- data sets
- first-person accounts
- government documents
- public opinion polls
- contemporaneous news
Ask your professor or librarian for help with primary sources.
All authors must be Duke undergraduates during the current academic year (Summer 2014, Fall 2014, Spring 2015)
Include internal citations and bibliographies that are formatted according to the style manual that your instructor requests or your discipline prefers.
- You may submit more than one paper in an academic year.
- You must submit each paper individually with a cover sheet and a faculty letter of support that is specific to the paper.
Global Education eligibility
If you write a paper during a term abroad, you can submit it for the Holsti Prize as long as the paper was written for a Duke course.
- Email all of your materials in a single file to Catherine Shreve by May 15, 2015.
- If preferred, faculty may email letters of support separately.