How to Find Online Newspaper Resources
Most Requested Newspapers
North Carolina Community Newspapers
Online Newspapers Worldwide
- 17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers - Provides full text access to the British Library's collection of the newspapers, pamphlets, and books gathered by Reverend Charles Burney (1757-1817).
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers Collection - Contains full runs of newspapers specially selected to best represent nineteenth-century Britain.
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers - Access to approximately 500 U.S. newspapers, published between 1800 and 1900.
- Adams Papers Digital Edition - The database comprises John Adams’s complete diaries, selected legal papers, and the ongoing series of family correspondence and state papers.
- Africa-Wide NiPAD - Provides multi-disciplinary coverage about African including politics, history, economics, business, mining, development, social issues, anthropology, natural history, literature, language, law, music and much more.
- African American Newspapers - Includes over 200 African-American newspapers, arranged by state.
- Alternative Press Index - Alternative Press Index Archive (APIA) is a bibliographic database of
journal, newspaper, and magazine articles from over 700 international
alternative, radical, and left periodicals.
- America's Historical Newspapers, 1690-1922 - America's Historical Newspapers allows users to search U.S. historical papers published between 1690 and 1922, including titles from all 50 states.
- America's Newspapers: North Carolina - A quick link to the NC section of America's Newspapers.
- Atlanta Constitution (1868-1939) - Offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue.
- Black Studies Center - Comprised of several cross-searchable component databases, including the International Index to Black Periodicals and historical black newspapers.
- Canadian Newsstand - This collection includes 21 national and leading regional newspapers, including: The Globe and Mail, National Post, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, etc.
- Chicago Tribune (1849-1986)
- Factiva - Provides updated global information and news from major newspapers and business journals.
- Gallica Project on French Newspapers - Allows access to full text for the following French newspapers: Le Figaro and son supplement litteraire, Le Temps, La Croix, L'Humanite, La Presse, Le Journal des debats, Ouest-Eclair (editions de Rennes, Caen et Nantes).
- Guardian and The Observer - The Guardian (1821-2003) and its sister paper, The Observer (1791-2003) provide online access to facts, firsthand accounts, and opinions of the day about the most significant and fascinating political, business, sports, literary, and entertainment events from the past 200 years.
- Illustrated London News Historical Archive - Provides access to the entire run of the Illustrated London News from its first publication on 14 May 1842 to its last in 2003.
- Informe - Contains the full text of popular magazines, academic journals and selected newspaper articles in Spanish.
- InfoTrac Newsstand - provides indexing and full-text articles from major U.S. regional,
national and local newspapers as well as leading titles from around the
- Kidon Media Link - Newspapers, periodicals and other media sources from around the world. Every country has its own integrated page. There are no separate pages for newspapers, magazines, television, radio and news agencies.
- Latin American Newsstand - Complete contents from over 35 full text Latin American newspaper titles in Spanish and Portuguese, with some additional content in English. Most coverage starts with 2005, though some go back to 1995.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe - Provides full text access to a wide range of U.S. and international newspapers, radio and television transcripts. Covers general, business and legal information sources. Lexis-Nexis is available for the Duke Community only through this link.
- Los Angeles Times
- National Index to Chinese Newspapers & Periodicals - This is an index database of about 18,000 Chinese newspapers and periodicals published 1833-1949.
- NC Newspapers Online - It includes 23,483 digital images of papers dating from 1752 to the 1890s, including the collection of 18th century newspapers the State Archives has on microfilm. Included are the North Carolina Gazette (New Bern: April 14, 1775), various newspapers from Edenton (1787-1801), Fayetteville (1798-1795), Hillsboro (1786), New Bern (1751-1804), and Wilmington (1765-1816). In addition, the project includes the full run of two politically opposed newspapers from Salisbury, the Carolina Watchman (1832-1898) and The Western Carolinian (1820-1844). Finally, the project also includes three lesson plans, derived from these newspapers, entitled Idealized Motherhood vs. the Realities of Mother hood in Antebellum North Carolina; Teaching About Slavery Through Newspaper Advertisements; and “A Female Raid” in 1863, or Using Newspaper Coverage to Learn More About North Carolina’s Civil War Home Front.
- New York Times Book Review Archives - This is a full text archive of book reviews published in the New York Times since 1980. It covers over 50,000 books and authors, in reviews as well as in news and interviews. This database is listed on the Book Reviews subject list.
- News & Observer, 1991-Present; News & Observer, 2004-Present - NCLive now offers web access to full text articles from the Raleigh News & Observer through a database called InfoTrac Custom Newspapers. The News & Observer is covered from 1991 to the present.
- Newspaperindex.com - Newspapers and Front Pages in all countries.
- Newspaper Source - Contains selected full text articles from over 140 regional U.S. newspapers, several international newspapers, newswires, and the Christian Science Monitor. The emphasis is business-related articles, although articles about national and international news events are also included.
- North Carolina Periodicals Index - Produced by the Joyner Library at ECU, this free database provides indexing of articles from over 40 periodicals published in NC. Most of these periodicals are not covered by other indexes or databases. The Triangle's "Independent Weekly" is one example.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers - New York Times, full text, from 1851 to three years before the current date.
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Black Newspapers - Offers primary source material for the study of American history and African-American culture, history, politics, and the arts.
- Regional Business News - A collection of business journals, newspapers and news wires covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the U.S.
- Russian National Bibliography - allows users to digitally search the Russian Book Chamber's (Knizhnaia palata) national bibliographies for citations from books, newspapers, journals, dissertation abstracts, musical scores, and maps.
- SRDS Media Solutions - Provides advertising media rates and advertiser data through its coverage of traditional media - such as magazines, newspapers, television, direct marketing, and radio - as well as online sources.
- Struggles for Freedom in Southern Africa - collection consists of more than 180,000 pages of documents and images, including periodicals, nationalist publications, records of colonial government commissions, local newspaper reports, personal papers, correspondence, UN documents, out-of-print and other particularly relevant books, oral testimonies, life histories, and speeches.
- Taiwan Nichinichi Shinpo - Keyword searching and full text of official newspaper of Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period, including both Japanese (1898.5 - 1944.3) and Chinese (1905.7 - 1911.11) editions.
- The Times Digital Archive, 1785-1985 - Provides full text access to The Times (London). The full newspaper (including advertisements and illustrations) is given with full-page or specific article access, along with a facsimile (PDF) version.
- Times of India - The Times of India (1838-2001) offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue.
- Universal Database of Central Russian Newspapers - A full-text database of over 40 newspapers from Russia, including some English-language publications. (Visual material like photos, graphs, and drawings are not included.) Accessible in English or Russian.
- Universal Databases - This interface provides a unified search engine for several of the Eastview Universal databases: Russian Central Newspapers (UDB-COM), Current Digest of the Post-Soviet Press (UDB-CD), Social Sciences & Humanities (UDB-EDU), Voprosy istorii: Complete Collection (UDB-VI), and Voprosy literatury: Complete Collection (UDB-VL).
- Waterloo Directory of English Newspapers and Periodicals, 1800-1900 - A subject-inclusive, language-inclusive bibliography of newspapers and periodicals from Victorian England . Includes 6 alphabetical indexes: Title, Issuing body, People, Town, County, and Subject. Also included are titles in any language, published during any part of their life-span in England between January 1, 1800 and December 31, 1900.
- World News Connection - A fee-based service of the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) which provides translations by FBIS and JPRS of non-English newspapers, speeches, journals, and some media broadcasts from foreign countries. Translations are added within 24–72 hours of original broadcast/publication, and the database goes back to 2003. Some non-U.S. English-language news sources are also included.
- World Newspaper Archive - A fully searchable collection of historical newspapers from around the globe.
- Yomiuri Newspaper, 1986- - Includes full text of Yomiuri shinbun (from Sept. 1986- to the present, with local editions beginning in Dec. 1986); along with the English edition: the Daily Yomiuri (Sept. 1989- to the present), both searchable by article, keyword, subject category, and issue.
Last modified March 9, 2012 9:57:21 AM EST