Bioorganic and Biochemistry Sites
- MIT Biology Hypertextbook - An extremely good resource for biology and biochemistry, with chapters as well as practice problems. Also has a searchable index. From the Experimental Study Group at MIT.VERY USEFUL!
- Protein Data Bank - The PDB is a great resource for protein structures.
- Structural Classification of Proteins (SCOP) - "A structural classification of proteins database for the investigation of sequences and structures." This actually points you to an index of mirror sites around the world. Use the closest one to you for best results.
- SWISS-PROT and TrEMBL - "A curated protein sequence database which strives to provide a high level of annotations (such as the description of the function of a protein, its domains structure, post-translational modifications, variants, etc), a minimal level of redundancy and high level of integration with other databases." TrEMBL is the supplement.
- The Genome Database - "The official central repository for genomic mapping data resulting from the Human Genome Initiative." Users can search by gene, sequence, or for alleles, etc.
- CARBHYD - Carbohydrate Information - Links to information related to carbohydrates on the Internet.
- Web Resources for Protein Scientists - A comprehensive list of web links for various aspect of protein chemistry and biochemistry. From the Protein Society and FASEB.
- BIOSPACE - Biotech, Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical News, Jobs, Companies, and Stocks. A commercial site.
- BioTech - "Our mission is to make BioTech as useful a tool to a high school student as it is to a postdoctoral fellow. We aim to educate those who may not have as much experience with biology and biotechnology while at the same time providing quick access to biology-related resources for those who are dealing with much more specific and detailed information."
AgNIC - "The Agriculture Network Information Center (AgNIC) is a voluntary alliance of the National Agricultural Library (NAL), land-grant universities and other agricultural organizations, in cooperation with citizen groups and government agencies. AgNIC focuses on providing agricultural information in electronic format over the World Wide Web via the Internet."
- Harvard Dept. of Molecular & Cellular Biology - Biology Links - This is a long list of mostly biology related links, with the range from micro- to macro-biology. May not be all that useful to chemists, but this is my alma mater and so it's here.
- World Wide Web Virtual Library - Biotechnology - "This directory contains 1000 URLs specific to biotechnology, pharmaceutical development, genetic engineering, medical device development, and related fields such as pharmacology and toxicology. It differs from Biosciences in that Biotechnology places more emphasis on product development and the delivery of products and services. This field will also include some helpful medical informatics and health care delivery references." Sponsored by Cato Research Ltd.
Last modified July 3, 2007 11:09:05 AM EDT