Duke University Library has a sizable collection of pictorial works (most of them are photographs reprinted in books) about China. The following are selected online archives and resouces:
- Sidney D. Gamble Photographs from Duke's special collection, approximately 5000 photographs, 1917-1932.
- AGSL Digital Photo Archive about 3,500 images from the American Geographical Society (AGS) Library. Photographers include Harrison Forman(1904-1978), Bert A. Krawczyk, Clarence W. Sorensen andMary Jo Read, etc.
- Bucklin China Archive - Looking at China in 1924 : In 1923, Harold Bucklin took his family Shanghai and produced an exquisite body of work of large format photographs of Pre-Revolutionary China using a Graflex camera.
- China: A Traveling Exhibit 1903-1904: R. Harvey Sargent, a topographer with the U.S. Geological Survey, joined
a Carnegie Institutionresearch mission that took him 1,800 miles across the vast interior of China. Along the way, Sargent documented his observations with photographs of the land and the peasants from which the Chinese Revolution was to come.
- Gerald & Rella Warner Manchuria Negatives : US Vice Consul to Mukden (Shenyang) Gerald Warner created these 298 photographs between March 22, 1934 and August 2, 1935.
- Historical Photographs of China A joint project by School of Humanities, University of Bristol, UK & Institut d'Asie Orientale (IAO), Lyon, France. The archived collections include a Chinese diplomat, foreign businessmen, staff of the administrations in the Chinese treaty ports, missionaries, and officials of the Chinese Maritime Customs Service.
- Historical Photographs of China 中国摄影史图片库 part of the site by Thomas H. Hahn, collections are on China or relate to China, including The Yuanmingyuan, Early Photographs of Taoist Sites and Practice 道教旧影, etc.
- International Mission Photography : historical images from Protestant and Catholic missionary collections in
Britain, Norway, Germany, France, Switzerland, and the United States.
The photographs, which range in time from the middle of the nineteenth
to the middle of the twentieth century, offer a visual record of
missionary activities and experiences in Africa, China(10,000 images), Madagascar,
India, Papua-New Guinea, and the Caribbean. You can browse by places or search by keywords, collections, and places.
- Virtual Shanghai
is part of the IAO-Databases Project and contains 4,000 images(mostly before 1949). The
images contain basic metadata (often including a short description) and
are searchable according to the following criteria: title/subject; date;
estimated periods; location; action; caption on print; caption on
support; support; author; nature; repository, and general keywords. The Live Map presents images of Shanghai onn a GIS map.
- Gerald & Rella Warner Postcards: collected in Taiwan by Gerald and Rella Warner during Gerald's service as US Consul between August 26, 1937 and March 8, 1941. Warner Taiwan Postcards contains 201 postcards and 139 b/w commercial photographs from that periodA photographic record of a US consul's impressions of urban and rural life in Taiwan under Japanese colonial rule.
- Gerald & Rella Warner Taiwan Negatives : US Consul to Taiwan Gerald Warner and his wife Rella created these 369
photographic negatives between August 26, 1937 and March 8, 1941.
- Scenic Taiwan Book : 'Taiwan no fūkō' (Scenic Taiwan) 台湾の風光 is one of many photo albums
published in the 1930s that depict different areas of the Japanese
Empire. This particular volume was published in Wakayama Prefecture in
or after 1938. Its
editor, one Yamazaki Kin'ichirō (or Kane'ichirō) (1897-1985), published
several albums of Taiwan, Manchuria, and Hokkaidō photographs in this
same decade. 'Scenic Taiwan' extols the good results of Japanese
colonial rule, both in picture and in text. This digital version
features the editor's translations of all captions, along with the
original Japanese, providing a resource for studies in colonial architecture, discourse, and East Asian folkways.
- Taiwan Photographic Monthly Periodical : The Taiwan shashinchō 台湾写真帳 (Taiwan Photograph Album) was published
monthly from November 1914 through December 1915, for a total of 14
issues. The 468 pages captured for this collection include reprints of
photographs from other Japanese publications, and many unique
- Taiwan Memory 台湾记忆 ：image part of Taiwan memory site from the National Central library of Taiwan.
- Korean War Historical Images a Flicker site of images from the Korean War. Credit Department of Defense and photographer (see attached captions.)
1966-1976 Cultural Revolution:
China in general:
- A Visual Sourcebook of Chinese Civilization mainly for K-12 education.
- Chinese Cultural Studies: ImagesThis
page contains a summary of all the picture files available on Brooklyn
College Core 9 Chinese Culture Web site." Maintained by Paul Halsall,
- Hong Kong Picture Archive
- Scenery Pictures of China(CND
InfoBase)Tourist shots divided into three series. The first, "The Land
of Beauty," includes the "top ten scenic sites." The second series is of
"Natural Landscapes," and the third is "Ancient Buildings." Also
includes links to other sites with pictures of China, including a lot of
good modern Hangzhou scenes and Time Magazine's "A Day in the Life of
- World Bank Photo Library A unique collection of over 50,000 images featuring global development.
- 人民网图片 part of 人民网.
Last modified January 13, 2011 3:17:28 PM EST