GIS Information on the Web
General GIS Information
- NOTE: Also see our links to GIS data. Our Data Services department has more links to GIS data on the web.
- Alexandria Digital Library
- This is consortium of researchers, developers, and educators, spanning the academic, public, and private sectors, exploring a variety of problems related to a distributed digital library for geographically-referenced information.
- Current Literature on GIS and Libraries
- A bibliography complied and maintained by Cathy Moulder at McMaster University.
- Dictionary of Abbreviations and Acronyms in Geographic Information Systems, Cartography, and Remote Sensing
- By Philip Hoehn of the David Rumsey Collection and Mary Larsgaard of the University of California, Santa Barbara. Hosted by the University of California, Berkeley.
- Geographic Information Systems FAQ
- The FAQ is a resource of the comp.infosystems.gis newsgroup and the GIS-L mailing list.
- GIS notebook
- Miscellaneous information on GIS from Bill Thoen.
- GIS-Related Mailing Lists
- A list of GIS-related mailing lists compiled by Bill Thoen for an article published in GIS World magazine. Many entries have descriptive scope notes.
- GIS Discussion Groups & Lists
- Information on subscribing to GIS E-mail lists. Short scope notes describe the lists.
- GIS Web Server (University of Edinburgh)
- Includes a searchable database on GIS, links to a large bibliography, and links to a catalog of digital elevation data.
- Glossary of GIS Terms
- A short glossary from ESRI.
- National Geospatial Programs Office (NGPO)
- This is the USGS office that coordinates its National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) initiatives, with links to information about digital formats and to digital data, such as The National Map.
- TIGER Mapping Service
- Information on the TIGER files (Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing system) from the U.S. Census Bureau.
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Publications and Data Products
- Links to lots of earth science data.
- Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., a leading producer of GIS and desktop mapping software (ARC/INFO, ArcView).
- Geographic Data Technologies, which sells GIS boundary data and demographic data.
- Makers of GIS and related software.
- Producers of MapInfo, a leading desktop mapping software package often used in business and marketing applications.
Utility Programs and Format Translators
- BLM's GIS utility FTP site
- Lots of free translator utilities written by the late Sol Katz, most of which run under DOS.
- Directions Magazine Free Tools
- Online GIS magazine has collection of free GIS utilities for various software packages.
- GIS conversion utilities
- From an academic web site in the United Kingdom.
- GIS Data Depot: Software and Utilities
- Mostly format translator programs and some zip/unzip programs.
- GIS Tools
- Commercial software to convert Census TIGER files to ArcView shapefiles (.shp extension) and MapInfo interchange format (.mif extension) files.
- Safe Software, Inc.
- Company that produces a commercial GIS translator, the Feature Manipulation Engine (FME).
- USGS Digital Mapping Software and Utilities
Last modified October 18, 2010 12:43:03 PM EDT