Weather & Earthquakes
Weather Maps and Information
US Government Sites
- Current Conditions: Internet Weather Source
- Clean interface from the NWS.
- Forecasts: IWINS
- The National Weather Service (NWS) provides forecasts through its Interactive Weather Information Network (IWINS). All commercial services merely repackage NWS forecasts.
- Weather Data: National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
- Agency that publishes a lot of climatic data (temperature, precipitation, etc.). Most of this requires a paid subscription, but academic users (.edu Internet domain) can get some of the major publications in Adobe Acrobat format for free: go to the Publications Page, then go to the section for the publication you need. The NCDC server should recognize if you're coming from an .edu domain, allowing access and saying Your Access is Free at the top.
- Historical Weather Data: Climate Data Imaging Project
- From the NOAA Central Library. Historic publications containing climate data from around the world have been digitized (available in Adobe Acrobat or TIFF formats).
- Hurricanes: National Hurricane Center
- Current forecasts, predictions, and tracking maps as well as historical information.
- IGES Weather and Climate Images
- Produced by the Institute of Global Environment and Society (IGES) from U.S. government data.
- An extensive commercial site with weather maps and information. Includes a section on the Durham/Raleigh area.
- UM Weather
- An extensive weather site form the University of Michigan. The FastForecast feature lets you type a city name in the search box and get the National Weather Service forecast (via the Weather Underground site). Includes an extensive list of links to other Weather Sites.
- Unisys Weather
- From Unisys Corporation (formerly the Weather Processor at Purdue University). Links to several types of weather maps.
- Weather Matrix
- "WeatherMatrix is a worldwide organization of over 5000 amateur and professional weather enthusiasts -- meteorologists, storm chasers and spotters, and weather observers from all parts of the globe."
- Weather Underground
- Commercial site that leads to weather maps and forecasts for U.S. cities. Can search by city, state, zip code, or country.
- World Sunlight Map
- A world map showing current sunlight and cloud cover.
North Carolina Weather
- Internet Weather Source (National Weather Service)
- Their North Carolina page.
- Weather Underground
- Forecasts for North Carolina cities.
- North Carolina Hurricane Storm Surge Inundation Map Online Atlas
- Leads to the Electronic Storm Surge Atlas (ESSA), featuring maps of coastal North Carolina counties with indications of the areas that would be flooded by hurricane storm surges for various strengths and speeds of storms.
- Earthquake Hazards Program
- Part of the US Geological Survey (USGS). Includes lots of earthquake links and data on earthquakes worldwide.
- Seismic Hazards Zonation Program
- From the California Geological Survey.
- California Realtime Earthquake Update
- Up-to-the-minute, from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Can zoom out to see the rest of the world and link to information on recent earthquakes.
Last modified March 11, 2011 10:20:04 AM EST