Reproductive Rights: A Selection of Resources
Personal papers and organizational records
- Elizabeth C. Alden Papers, 1970's-1990's.
- Comprised primarily of published materials (magazines,
newsletters, and photocopies and clippings of newspaper and
magazine articles) and a few manuscript items related to women's
employment, religious, legal, and domestic issues. The papers
document Rev. Alden's feminist activism during the 1970s and early
1980s. 2 linear feet.
- Takey Crist Papers, 1976-2001.
- Papers of a North Carolina physician and long-time supporter of
women's reproductive rights. Founder of the Crist Clinic for Women,
a comprehensive healthcare clinic for women. 21.8 linear feet.
- Robin Chandler Lynn Duke Papers, 1930-2002.
- Papers of a member of the Duke family who held office or was
active in a number of organizations including Population Action
International, the National Abortion Rights Action League, The
Packard Foundation, The Draper World Population Fund, and several
major corporations. 73.3 linear feet.
- Merle Hoffman Papers, 1960-1999.
- Records concerning the creation and operation of Choices
Women's Medical Center and Mental Health Center and the publication
of "On the Issues" magazine, all created by Hoffman. ~100 linear
- Angela Jeannet Papers, 1969-1983.
- A collection that documents the activities of one of the
earliest local women's liberation groups, Lancaster Women's
Liberation Group in Lancaster (Lancaster Co.), Pennsylvania,
started during the "second wave" (middle 1960s-early 1980s) of
feminism, and co-founded by Jeannet. 4.5 linear feet.
- League of Women Voters of Durham (N.C.) Records,
- Papers consist chiefly of newsletters, minutes of the Board and
other meetings, administrative and financial records, publicity
materials, newspaper clippings, and information related to the
political work of the League. 7.9 linear feet.
- Bobbye S. Ortiz Papers, 1950-1990.
- Papers of this feminist and social activist consist chiefly of
personal correspondence, extensive subject files on international
political and cultural movements, and audiovisual materials. 37.4
- Paul Ramsey Papers, 1934-1984.
- Comprised of correspondence, memoranda, book reviews,
typescripts, reprints, drafts of books and articles, clippings,
lecture notes and outlines, course outlines, examinations and
handouts, and writings of Ramsey, a leader in the field of
Christian ethics. 24 linear feet.
- Resource Center for Women and Ministry in the South Records,
- The Resource Center's mission of working for justice in the
South as well as its operations are reflected in the records, which
primarily consist of printed material, correspondence, writings,
clippings, account books, grant proposals, minutes, newsletters,
photographs, audio tapes, filmstrips, and videocassette tapes. 14
Published materials: periodicals, pamphlets, and
- Sarah Dyer Zine Collection, 1974-2000.
- Collection of over 2000 zines (over 800 titles) submitted to
Dyer for review and inclusion in her Action Girl Newletter
"uberzine." ~12 linear feet.
Rally Speech" in Notes From the First Year by Anne
Koedt. New York: New York Radical Women, 1968.
- Speech given at an abortion rally in New York on March 24, 1968
demonstrating support for birth control education, abortion
referral counseling, and litigation against laws prohibiting such
work. Call Number: E Pam q#1033
- Abortion, the American Holocaust by Kent Kelly.
Southern Pines, N.C. : Calvary Press, c1981.
- A treatise written by a North Carolinian that compares abortion
with the Holocaust. Call Number: E Pam 7538
- Butchers in Waiting, The Shocking Story of Abortion in the
U.S.A. by Carlson Wade. [S.l. : s.n.], c1960.
- Highly sensationalized look at illegal abortion and the doctors
and women engaged in it. Call Number: E Pam 12mo
- Choices: A Pro-Choice Benefit Comic Anthology for the
National Organization for Women edited by Trina Robbins.
Oakland (CA): Angry Isis Press, 1990.
- Includes comic strips by over 40 artists (e.g. Nicole
Hollander, Garry Trudeau, Alison Bechdel, and Roberta Gregory) with
an introduction by Congresswoman Pat Schroeder. Not yet
- The First Unalienable Right by James J. Drummey.
Belmont, Mass. : The Review of the news, 1976?
- A reprint of a vitriolic article that appeared three years
after the landmark Supreme Court ruling Roe v. Wade in The Review
of the News, a predecessor to the current periodical of the John
Birch Society, The New American. Call Number: E
Pam 12mo #12599
- Let Me Tell You Why: Sixteen Stories From Women About the
Choices They've Made & Their Experiences With Abortion
edited by Laurie Brooks. Santa Cruz, CA: Action Alliance for
Reproductive Rights, c1992.
- Testimonials from women who have had abortions. Call
Number: E Pam 12mo #12278
- People Control: The Case Against Legalized Abortion by
Gordon "Jack" Mohr. Hot Springs, Ark. : Connelly Press,
- A lecture about the "moral implications" of abortion written by
a "recognized authority on psychological warfare and communist
'brainwashing' techniques." Call Number: E Pam
- Reproductive Wrongs: Male Power and the New Reproductive
Technologies by Feminist International Network on the New
Reproductive Technologies. London : FINNRET, 1984.
- A book written by lesbian feminists on human reproductive
technologies as methods of subjugating women, particularly poor and
minority women. Call Number: E Pam #7073
- RU 486: Misconceptions, Myths and Morals by Janice G.
Raymond, Renate Klein, Lynette J. Dumble. North Melbourne: Spinifex
; Cambridge, Mass. : Institute on Women and Technology, c1991.
- A guide to Mifepristone, an antiprogesterone drug which
provides a pharmaceutical alternative to ending early pregnancy.
Call Number: LSC 1378
Aspiration Abortion by the Women's Health and Abortion
Project (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.). Health Organizing Collective of
Women's Health and Abortion Project, .
- Heavily illustrated pamphlet providing an in-depth explanation
of this suction method of abortion. Call Number: E
Pam q# 1110 and http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/wlm/abortion/
- When Birth Control Fails: How To Abort Ourselves
Safely by Suzann Gage. Hollywood, CA. : Speculum Press,
- A self-care manual on a wide variety of medical, herbal, and
surgical abortion methods and other birth control measures.
Call Number: E Pam q# 2083 or 717
Last modified June 16, 2006 1:01:58 PM EDT