Inventory of the Atlantic and Western Railway Company Records, 1905-1968
North Carolina short-line railroad company established in 1896 and still in operation as of 2008.
Correspondence, accounts, financial reports, ledgers, memoranda, publications, and other records (chiefly 1918-1960), of a short-line railway operating between Sanford and Lillington, N.C., in Lee and Harnett counties. Includes communications from the American Short Line Railroad Association and the Association of American Railroads.
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- Atlantic and Western Railway Company
- Atlantic and Western Railway Company Records, 1905-1968
- Language of Material
- 55.7 Linear Feet, 41,774 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
However, collection may contain materials to which the Acknowledgment of Legal Responsibilities and Privacy Rights form applies. Patrons must sign this form before using this collection.
Also, all or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. Consequently, there may be a 24-hour delay in obtaining these materials.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Consists of blueprints; charts for the Association of American Railroads; correspondence printed on flyers; and engineering, equipment and land reports.
- American Short Line Railroad Association.
- Association of American Railroads.
- Railroads--North Carolina--Records and correspondence.
- Railroads--North Carolina--History.
- Lee County (N.C.)--Economic conditions.
- Harnett County (N.C.)--Economic conditions.
- Sanford (N.C.)--Economic conditions.
- Lillington (N.C.)--Economic conditions.
[Identification of item], Atlantic and Western Railway Company Records, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
The Atlantic and Western Railway Company Records were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a gift in 1975.
Processed by Rubenstein Library staff
Encoded by Ted Holt and Paula Jeannet Mangiafico, June 2008
Accession from 1975 is described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.