Preliminary Guide to the Ernest Clyde Bower Papers, 1844-1930
Primarily the diaries of Mr. Bower, which date from 1883 to 1930 and concern his personal and business affairs. Entries refer to various organizations Bower worked for, including: the Pacific Fire Insurance Company of New York; the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad in New York; the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad Company in Cleveland; and the New York Central Railroad Company in Cleveland. Other entries concern life in Middlefield, Ohio, where Bower was born; Ohio Business University in Cleveland; and Bower's ties to the Masons, the Presbyterian Church, and the Sons of Union Veterans. A memorandum book (1844-1849), written by an unidentified student, contains a section describing life in Columbia Seminary, a Presbyterian school. Other materials include: address and daybooks, clippings, and photographs. One clipping quoting Bowers' aunt identifies her father as abolitionist who assisted runaway slaves; another is an obituary of Enoch E. Kile, who was perhaps related to Bowers. Also includes a Bible given in 1861 to Bower's uncle, who served in the Civil War.
- Collection Number
- Ernest Clyde Bower papers
- Bower, Ernest Clyde
- 1 Linear Feet, 63 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University and therefore remain with the current copyright holders or the original creators of the materials. For more information, consult the section on copyright in the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Ernest Clyde Bower was a railroad employee in New York, N.Y. and Cleveland, Ohio.
- Bower, Ernest Clyde
- Cleveland (Ohio) -- Description and travel
- Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad Company -- New York (N.Y.)
- Columbia Theological Seminary (Columbia, S.C.) -- Students
- Kile, Enoch E.
- Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway
- Middlefield (Ohio) -- Social life and customs
- New York (N.Y.) -- Description and travel
- New York Central Railroad Company
- Ohio Business University -- Cleveland (Ohio)
- Pacific Fire Insurance Company -- New York (N.Y.)
- Presbyterian Church -- Education
- Railroads -- United States -- Employees -- Biography
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
[Identification of item], Ernest Clyde Bower Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Processed by Allison Gluvna
Completed April 6, 1998
Encoded by Stephen Miller
This collection is unprocessed: materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.