Preliminary Inventory of the Ernest Clyde Bower Papers, 1844-1930
Primarily the diaries of Mr. Bower, which date from 1883 to 1930 and concern his personal and business affairs. Entries refer to various organizations Bower worked for, including: the Pacific Fire Insurance Company of New York; the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad in New York; the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad Company in Cleveland; and the New York Central Railroad Company in Cleveland. Other entries concern life in Middlefield, Ohio, where Bower was born; Ohio Business University in Cleveland; and Bower's ties to the Masons, the Presbyterian Church, and the Sons of Union Veterans. A memorandum book (1844-1849), written by an unidentified student, contains a section describing life in Columbia Seminary, a Presbyterian school. Other materials include: address and daybooks, clippings, and photographs. One clipping quoting Bowers' aunt identifies her father as abolitionist who assisted runaway slaves; another is an obituary of Enoch E. Kile, who was perhaps related to Bowers. Also includes a Bible given in 1861 to Bower's uncle, who served in the Civil War.
- Ernest Clyde Bower Papers, 1844-1930
- Bower, Ernest Clyde
- 63 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
However, patrons must sign the Acknowledgment of Legal Responsibility and Privacy Rights form before using this collection.
Also, all or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. Consequently, there may be a 24-hour delay in obtaining these materials.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University and therefore remain with the current copyright holders or the original creators of the materials. For more information, consult the section on copyright in the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Ernest Clyde Bower was a railroad employee in New York, N.Y. and Cleveland, Ohio.
- Kile, Enoch E.
- Ohio Business University--Cleveland (Ohio)
- Columbia Theological Seminary (Columbia, S.C.)--Students
- Pacific Fire Insurance Company--New York (N.Y.)
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
- New York Central Railroad Company
- Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway
- Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroad Company--New York (N.Y.)
- Presbyterian Church--Education
- Railroads--United States--Employees--Biography
- Middlefield (Ohio)--Social life and customs
- New York (N.Y.)--Description and travel
- Cleveland (Ohio)--Description and travel
[Identification of item], Ernest Clyde Bower Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Processed by Allison Gluvna
Completed April 6, 1998
Encoded by Stephen Miller
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.
This collection is unprocessed: materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.