Guide to the John E. Browning Papers, 1930-1999 and undated
John E. Browning was a commercial artist and designer who worked in outdoor advertising in New Jersey.
The John E. Browning Papers span the years 1930-1999 and include billboard designs, photographs and negatives, correspondence, an autobiographical sketch, and printed materials relating to commercial art and typography. Acquired as part of the John W. Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History.
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- Browning, John E., 1915-
- John E. Browning papers 1930-1999 and undated
- Language of Material
- 0.4 Linear Feet, 120 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
The John E. Browning Papers span the years 1930-1999 and include billboard designs, photographs and negatives, correspondence, an autobiographical sketch, and printed materials relating to commercial art and typography. Arranged alphabetically.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
[Includes Cobb Shinn's Type Warmers catalog, undated, and C.B. Falls Modern ABC Book, 1930]
Enter Biographical and/or Historical Note
|1915||Born, Jersey City, N.J.|
|1938||Graduated, Pratt Institute, degree in Advertising Design|
|Circa 1938||Layout artist, O'Mealia Outdoor, Jersey City, N.J.|
|1939-1942||Artist, J.C. Williams Co., Asbury Park, N.J.|
|1942||Civilian designer, U.S. Army Signal Corps|
|1943||U.S. Army, Fort Sill, Okla.|
|1943-1965||Designer, Welim Davit and Boat Corp., Perth Amboy, N.J.|
|1965-1987||Designer, then supervisory positions, Marine Safety Equipment Corp., Farmington, N.J.|
|1987 Mar. 31||Retired as Vice President, Marine Safety Equipment Corp.|
In addition, Browning has worked as a free-lance artist and poster designer for various civic groups, including Women's Clubs and Library Clubs; illustrator for a cook book; and has exhibited his artwork on several occasions.
- Browning, John E., 1915-
- Advertising -- History
- Advertising -- History -- United States
- Advertising executives
- Advertising executives -- United States
- Advertising, Outdoor
- Advertising, Outdoor -- History
- Advertising, Outdoor -- New Jersey
- Advertising, Outdoor -- United States
- Advertising, Outdoor -- New Jersey -- History
- Advertising, Outdoor -- United States -- History
- Advertising layout and typography
- Billboards -- New Jersey
- Billboards -- United States
- Commercial art -- United States
- Commercial artists -- United States
- Graphic arts -- United States
- Graphic design (Typography) -- United States
- New Jersey
- John W. Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History
Related material may be found in the following Hartman Center collections:
[Identification of item], John E. Browning Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
The John E. Browning Papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a gift in 1998 and 2004.
Processed by Noelle Suaifan, February 2011
Encoded by Richard Collier, February 2011
Accessions 1998-0011, 2004-0141 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.