Guide to the Clopton Family Papers, 1629-1915 (bulk 1775-1897)
Family correspondence and miscellaneous papers of four generations of the Clopton family and three generations of the Wallace family, centering in Virginia. The material ranges in date from 1629-1915 (bulk 1775-1897).
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- Clopton family.
- Clopton Family papers 1629-1915 (bulk 1775-1897)
- Language of Material
- 77 Linear Feet, 11,916 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Family correspondence and miscellaneous papers of four generations of the Clopton family and three generations of the Wallace family, centering in Virginia. The earlier papers are genealogical records. Papers of John Clopton, Virginia legislator and U.S. Representative contain comments on politics in the Jeffersonian Republican Party, the Continental Congress, Jay's treaty, the Alien and Sedition acts, the Embargo act, and American relations with France. Letters to son, John Bacon Clopton, Virginia judge, relate to the operation of a plantation in New Kent County. Correspondence of Charles Montriou Wallace, Sr., a Richmond merchant, includes accounts of an overland journey to California (1849) and subsequent residence there, Reconstruction, and Virginia politics. Of interest also are Civil War letters from William Izard Clopton. Letters from a Richmond commission firm concern wartime and postwar business conditions. The collection also includes several memorandum books, scrapbooks, account books, legal casebooks, journals of trips to California, Texas and England, records of an unidentified temperance society, and financial records of a teacher.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- Clopton family
- Clopton, John, 1756-1816
- Clopton, John Bacon, b. 1785
- Clopton, William Izard
- Wallace family
- Wallace, Charles Montriou, 1825-1910
- Merchants -- Virginia
- Plantations -- Virginia -- New Kent County
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Virginia
- Temperance -- Societies, etc.--Virginia
- California -- Description and travel
- Richmond (Va.) -- Commerce
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1789-1815
- Virginia -- Economic conditions
- Virginia -- Politics and goverment -- 1775-1865
- United States -- Virginia -- New Kent County
- United States -- Virginia -- Chesterfield County -- Manchester
[Identification of item], Clopton Family Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
The Clopton Family Papers were acquired by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library between 1938-1958.
Processed by Rubenstein Library Staff,
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, June 2010
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.