Preliminary Inventory of the Gales & Seaton Records, 1811-1868
Collection contains the business papers of Joseph Gales, Jr., and William W. Seaton, editors of the National Intelligencer. Correspondence pertains to subscriptions, advertising, announcements and letters to the editors. Some prominent names appear in the subscription correspondence. Of particular interest are fifty-six transcripts of Congressional speeches, resolutions, and motions. These were presented for publication and are marked for editing. Among the authors of the manuscripts are Henry Clay, James K. Polk, Martin Van Buren, and Daniel Webster. Many are signed. Part of the Harry L. and Mary K. Dalton Collection.
- Gales & Seaton Records, 1811-1868
- Gales & Seaton
- 1 Linear Foot, 297 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
However, patrons must sign the Acknowledgment of Legal Responsibility and Privacy Rights form before using this collection.
Also, all or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. Consequently, there may be a 24-hour delay in obtaining these materials.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the Rubenstein Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Publishers of the National Intelligencer in Washington, D.C.
- Gales & Seaton.
- United States.--Congress--History--19th century.
- Gales, Joseph, 1786-1860.
- Seaton, William Winston, 1785-1866.
- Clay, Henry, 1777-1852.
- Polk, James K. (James Knox), 1795-1849.
- Van Buren, Martin, 1782-1862.
- Webster, Daniel, 1782-1852.
- National intelligencer, Washington, D.C.
- Publishers and publishing--United States--Correspondence.
[Identification of item], Gales & Seaton Records, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Processed by Rubenstein Library Staff
Completed May 5, 1999
This collection is unprocessed: materials may have not been ordered and described beyond their original condition.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.