Guide to the Hawley Family Papers, 1794-1953 (bulk 1857-1953)
Includes correspondence (original and photocopied), writings, genealogy, pictures, and miscellaneous. Letters written by Thomas Swearington Hawley between 1861 and 1865 document his experiences as a surgeon with the 11th Missouri Infantry. Among his letters are many written shortly after the end of the Civil War from Demopolis, Alabama. Hawley's wife joined him in Alabama, and their letters to family members describe the attitudes and living conditions of the people of Alabama. In letters to each other in the early 1860's , the Hawley women wrote about domestic matters, occasionally referring to current events. Writings include a typed copy of Gideon Hawley's journal of his missionary service to Indians in Massachusetts and New York in 1794; 14-year-old Elizabeth Hawley's diary of her summer trip to visit her aunt in Delaware, Ohio in 1882; and Nelson J. Hawley's record of his experiences as a surgeon during World War I.
Miscellaneous volumes include two autograph books containing poetry and scraps; a scrapbook containing advertising trade cards; and a scrapbook containing printed and manuscript lyrics, most of them minstrel songs. Genealogical material on the Hawley and related families and a few family photographs are included.
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- Hawley family.
- Hawley Family papers 1794-1953 (bulk 1857-1953)
- Language of Material
- 1.5 Linear Feet, 515 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- United States. Army. Missouri Infantry Regiment, 11th
- Indians of North America -- Missions -- New York (State)
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Medical care
- Teenage girls -- Ohio -- Diaries
- Minstrels -- Songs and music
- Alabama -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women
- Autograph albums
[Identification of item], Hawley Family Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Hawley Family Papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a gift in 1986.
Processed by Kimberly Sims, May 2011
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, June 2011
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.