Preliminary Guide to the Joshua Lawrence Horne Papers, 1917-1974
The Joshua Lawrence Horne papers comprise primarily general correspondence (1918-1974, bulk 1959-1971), including many letters from Horne's secretary during Horne's annual visit to Orlando, Fla., with general news about Rocky Mount and Horne's publishing enterprise; letters from H.E.C. Bryant; and correspondence with representatives in the N.C. General Assembly and the U.S. Congress. The office files primarily concern the N.C. Dept. of Conservation and Development and the Associated Press.
The collection also includes papers (1941-1971) concerning the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association, as well as material about Duke University, including correspondence relating to the Board of Trustees, the Office of Alumni Affairs, the Athletic Dept., and the Office of the President; and material from 1968 concerning the protests from African-Americans which resulted in the occupation of the Allen Building.
Other materials in the collection relate to Piedmont Aviation Co.; the Birdseye Farming and Management Co.; the Carolina Motor Co.; the Rocky Mount-Wilson Airport Authority; the Methodist Church; the N.C. Conference of the Methodist Church; and the First Methodist Church of Rocky Mount; as well as addresses and writings (1963-1970), clippings (1950-1974), printed material (1952-1971), miscellany (1917-1970), and photographs.
Further information about the contents of the collection is available in the repository. Contact Research Services staff.
- Joshua Lawrence Horne papers, 1917-1974
- Horne, Joshua Lawrence
- 38.7 Linear Feet, 46,000 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
President of the Rocky Mount Publishing Company, publisher of the Evening telegram and Sunday telegram of Rocky Mount, chairman of the State Board of Conservation and Development, member of the State Advertising Campaign. Duke University Trustee, 1934-1965. Died March 15, 1974.
- Horne, Joshua Lawrence.
- Bryant, H. E. C.(Henry Edward Cowan), b. 1873.
- Southern Newspaper Publishers Association.
- Duke University. Board of Trustees.
- Duke University. Office of Alumni Affairs.
- Duke University. Athletic Dept.
- Duke University. Office of the President.
- Duke University -- History.
- Piedmont Aviation Co.
- Birdseye Farming and Management Co.
- Carolina Motor Co.
- Rocky Mount-Wilson Airport Authority.
- United Methodist Church (U.S.). North Carolina Conference.
- First Methodist Church (Rocky Mount, N.C.)
- North Carolina. Dept. of Conservation and Development.
- Associated Press.
- Publishers and publishing -- North Carolina.
- Rocky Mount (N.C.)--History
[Identification of item], Joshua Lawrence Horne Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Joshua Lawrence Horne Papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a gift in 1974-1976.
Processed by Rubenstein Library staff
Completed ca. 1999
Encoded by Christian Ferney and Ruth E. Bryan
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.
This collection is unprocessed: materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.