Guide to the International Postcard Collection, ca. 1900-1982 and undated
International collection of picture postcards (6500 items, ca. 1900-1982), almost all of which date from 1920 or earlier. Arranged by country and filed in 28 albums. Almost all European countries are represented, and there are many rare postcards from Russia. (96-0135) (7 lf)
The addition to this collection (18000 items, from ca. 1900-1950) also is international in scope, but focuses on the United States. The collection comprises fifty, three-ring binders that hold picture postcards in pocketed mylar sleeves. About two-thirds of the cards show scenes in the United States, including all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico; state capitols; worlds fairs; and other tourist destinations. Thirteen of the fifty binders document Atlantic City, N.J., and are subdivided by the images shown, including boardwalks, beaches, and hotels. The rest of the collection comprises postcards from other countries, including Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands. Asia, Africa, Latin America, and North America are also represented. A small group of postcards depicts costumes from around the world. (00-422) (12 lf)
- Collection Number
- International Postcard collection
- ca. 1900-1982 and undated
- Yoder, J. Russell
- 19 Linear Feet, circa 24,500 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Note: All boxes are oversize.
Mr. Yoder is a postcard collector and Duke University alumnus (class of 1938).
- Atlantic City (N.J.) -- Pictorial works
- Africa -- Pictorial works
- Central America -- Pictorial works
- Ethnic costume
- Europe -- Pictorial works
- North America -- Pictorial works
- Postcards -- Africa
- Postcards -- New Jersey -- Atlantic City
- Postcards -- Central America
- Postcards -- North America
- Postcards -- Collectors and collecting
- Postcards -- Russia (Federation)
- Postcards -- Puerto Rico
- Postcards -- Washington (D.C.)
- Postcards -- History
- Postcards -- United States
- Postcards -- Europe
- Puerto Rico -- Pictorial works
- Postcard albums
- Russia (Federation) -- Pictorial works
- United States -- Pictorial works
- Washington (D.C.) -- Pictorial works
- Yoder, J. Russell
[Identification of item], International Postcard Collection, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The International Postcard Collection was received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library from J. Russell Yoder as a gift in 1996 and 2000.
Processed by Paula Jeannet and Ruth E. Bryan
Completed September 19, 1996 and December 1, 2000
Encoded by Ruth E. Bryan and Ann Langford