Guide to the Thomas Lenoir Papers, 1771-1912
Army officer, of Caldwell Co., N.C.
Correspondence, diary, legal documents, account books, mercantile records, surveying records, and other papers (chiefly 1838-1880) of Lenoir, of his father, William Lenoir, and of his children. The early papers concern horse breeding, legal matters, deism in North Carolina (1790s), and the international situation (1790s). Thomas Lenoir's papers make up the majority of the collection and relate to the settlement of his father's estate, activities of his brother in Tennessee and his sons at the University of North Carolina, and antebellum agriculture in North Carolina. Postwar letters pertain mainly to politics, agriculture, cattle diseases, family matters, student life at the University of North Carolina and at Davis Military School, Winston (now Winston-Salem), N.C., North Carolina militia, and Civil War reminiscences. Correspondents include W. J. Bingham, Calvin J. Cowles, Charles F. Deems, S. F. Patterson, Lewis Williams.
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- Lenoir, Thomas, 1780-1861.
- Thomas Lenoir Papers, 1771-1912
- Language of Material
- 2,007 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
For Lower Creek, Boone Fork, and Hickory Tavern "old boundaries".
- Lenoir, Thomas, 1780-1861.
- Davis Military School (Winston-Salem, N.C.)--Students.
- North Carolina--Militia.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill--Students.
- Agriculture--North Carolina.
- Deism--North Carolina
- Executors and administrators--North Carolina.
- Horses--North Carolina.
- Schools--North Carolina.
- Students--North Carolina--Correspondence.
- North Carolina--Politics and government--1865-1950.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Lewis family.
- Lewis, William, 1751-1839.
[Identification of item], Thomas Lenoir Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Thomas Lenoir Papers were acquired by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library in 1944-1950.
Processed by Rubenstein Library Staff,
Encoded by Jane Metters and Meghan Lyon, September 2011
This collection is minimally processed: materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.