Menu

Guide to the Macedonia Cooperative Community flyers for toy wooden blocks, 1950 and undated

Abstract

Founded in 1937 in Clarkesville (Habersham Co.), Ga. by Morris Randolph Mitchell; took name from nearby Baptist Church; comprised of families and individuals who worked collectively on the dairy, agricultural, forestry, and woodworking projects which provided the economic underpinnings of the community; originally an economic cooperative, Macedonia later passed through two distinct phases before its demise in 1958; at end of WWII an infusion of former civilian public service men, including conscientious objectors who had served prison sentences, joined the cooperative bringing an emphasis on pacifism; last stages of cooperative lasted from 1953-1957 when members of group explored the possibility of merging with the religious community known as the Society of Brothers (Bruderhof); in 1958 Macedonia ceased to be a separate community and property was sold at public auction on June 27, 1958. Collection comprises 4 flyers regarding the various wooden block sets made by the community for children.

Descriptive Summary

Collection Number
RL.00832
Title
Macedonia Cooperative Community flyers for toy wooden blocks
Date
1950 and undated
Creator
Macedonia Cooperative Community
Extent
0.6 Linear Feet
Repository
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Language
Materials in English

Collection Overview

Collection comprises 4 flyers regarding the various wooden block sets made by the community for children.

Restrictions on Access & Use

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.

Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.

warning Use Restrictions

The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.

Contents of the Collection

Historical Note

Founded in 1937 in Clarkesville (Habersham Co.), Ga. by Morris Randolph Mitchell; took name from nearby Baptist Church; comprised of families and individuals who worked collectively on the dairy, agricultural, forestry, and woodworking projects which provided the economic underpinnings of the community; originally an economic cooperative, Macedonia later passed through two distinct phases before its demise in 1958; at end of WWII an infusion of former civilian public service men, including conscientious objectors who had served prison sentences, joined the cooperative bringing an emphasis on pacifism; last stages of cooperative lasted from 1953-1957 when members of group explored the possibility of merging with the religious community known as the Society of Brothers (Bruderhof); in 1958 Macedonia ceased to be a separate community and property was sold at public auction on June 27, 1958.

Subject Headings

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], in the Macedonia Cooperative Community flyers for toy wooden blocks, 1950 and undated, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

Purchase, 2009

Processing Information

Processed by: Alice Poffinberger, February 2010

Encoded by: Noah Huffman, February 2010

Accession(s) described in this finding aid: 2009-0190