Guide to the Giles Yeomans Newton Papers, 1778-1986, undated
Chiefly diaries but also includes correspondence, other writings and speeches, printed material, memoranda, photocopies of clippings, financial and genealogical papers, and family photographs. The collection principally relates to Newton's career as a politician and attorney as described in his extensive diaries, 1907-1984. He ran unsuccessfully as a Democrat to the U.S. House of Representatives, 8th District, N.C. in 1938, 1940, and 1942. He also unsuccessfully ran for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate in 1944.
- Giles Yeomans Newton papers 1778-1986, undated
- Newton, Giles Yeomans, 1893-1987
- Duke University. David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library Durham, North Carolina 27708-0185
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information please consult the section on copyright in the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Giles Yeomans Newton was a North Carolina politician and attorney.
- United States. Congress. Senate.
- United States. Congress.
- United States. Congress. House.
- Democatic Party (U.S.).
- United States. Congress -- Elections, 1938
- United States. Congress -- Elections, 1940
- United States. Congress -- Elections, 1942
- United States. Congress -- Elections, 1944
- North Carolina -- Politics and government.
[Identification of item], Giles Yeomans Newton Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Encoded by Alvin Pollock
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.