Preliminary Guide to the Pettaway Family Papers, 1944-1953
Collection contains letters to Grace and Winifred Pettaway from family members and their girl and boy friends during the years 1944-1953. They provide a glimpse of college and military life for African Americans during the 1940s and 1950s. The collection also includes photographs, event programs, greeting cards, newspaper clippings, certificates, and speeches.
- Pettaway Family papers, 1944-1953
- Pettaway family
- 1.00 Linear Feet , 335 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
African American family from Waterbury, Conn. Grace and Winifred Pettaway are siblings; Grace attended Chaney State Teachers College. Winifred served in the military during the Korean War and attended North Carolina Central College in Durham (later North Carolina Central University).
- Pettaway family.
- Pettaway, Grace.
- Pettaway, Winifred.
- North Carolina Central University -- History -- 20th century.
- Chaney State Teachers College.
- United States. Army -- Military life -- History -- 20th century.
- African Americans -- Correspondence.
- African Americans -- Education.
- African Americans -- Education -- North Carolina-- Durham.
- African American college students.
- African American college students -- North Carolina -- Durham.
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans.
[Identification of item], Pettaway Family Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Pettaway Family Papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a purchase in 1998.
Processed by Don Sechler
Completed May 12, 1998
Last updated November 19, 2002
Encoded by Walt Evans
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.
This collection is unprocessed: materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.