Guide to the M. J. Solomons Scrapbook, 1861-1863
Scrapbook of Civil War-related clippings collected by M J. Solomons, a resident of Savannah, Ga.
- Collection Number
- M. J. Solomons Scrapbook
- Solomons, M. J.
- 1.2 Linear Feet, 1 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Material in English
M. J. Solomons was a resident of Savannah, Ga. His scrapbook contains clippings from a number of newspapers reporting on battles and conditions in the Confederacy during the first years of the Civil War. The volumes contains clippings concerning the price of food and drugs; the role of women in the Confederacy; military operations and battles, particularly in the western theater; various Georgia regiments; Southern poetry about the war; reports of arrests, depredations, and atrocities by Union troops; various Confederate leaders and generals; derogatory references to Abraham Lincoln; and the foreign relations of the Confederacy.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- American newspapers -- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America -- History, Military
- Confederate States of America -- Foreign relations
- Confederate States of America -- Economic conditions
- Propaganda, Confederate
- Scrapbooks -- Confederate States of America
- Solomons, M. J.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Poetry
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women
- Women -- Confederate States of America
- Women -- Social conditions
[Identification of item], M. J. Solomons Scrapbook, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The provenance of the M. J. Solomons Scrapbook is unknown.
Processed by Kimberly Sims, May 2011
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, July 2011