Guide to the Turner Family Letters, 1943-1945 and undated
Letters from three Turner relatives or friends in the U.S. Army during World War II: Johnnie Rice, Arthur Johnson, and Edward G. Walker ["Garl"?]. The letters were addressed primarily to Mrs. "Mom" Turner, and were sent from Fort Bragg, N.C.; England; and France. There are also a few other letters from relatives and friends, a sympathy card on a family death, and one undated letter from a woman to "Nellie" (probably a letter from Mrs. Turner to her sister). It is not clear if the "sons" are Mrs. Turner's sons-in-law or her close friends. The letter writers request news from home, describe life in camp and on the battlefield, and occasionally refer to conditions in French towns and rural areas.
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- Turner family.
- Turner Family Letters, 1943-1945 and undated
- Language of Material
- 0.2 Linear Feet, 40 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Rural family of Stokesdale, N.C.
- Rice, Johnnie.
- Johnson, Arthur.
- Turner family.
- United States. Army--Biography.
- United States. Army--Military life.
- Soldiers--United States--Correspondence.
- Military training camps--United States.
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American.
- World War, 1939-1945--France--Personal narratives, American.
- Fort Bragg (N.C.)
[Identification of item], Turner Family Letters, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Turner Family Letters were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a purchase in 1997.
Processed by Kimberly Sims, May 2011
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, July 2011
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.