Inventory of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Records, 1911 - ongoing
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions coordinates admissions for Trinity College and the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University. Records include applications to Trinity College prior to the founding of Duke University (1911-1925), the administrative files of Admissions Director Robert H. Ballantyne (1967-1974), and one file from Admissions Director Richard Steele.
- Office of Undergraduate Admissions Records, 1911 - ongoing.
- Duke University. Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- 1.5 Linear Feet, , 1500 Items
- University Archives, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
Records include applications to Trinity College prior to the founding of Duke University (1911-1925); administrative files of Admissions Director Robert H. Ballantyne (1967-1974) and one file from Admissions Director Richard Steele.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
There is little written record of the early administrative reporting relationships of admissions beyond the following broad outline. When the Woman's College and Trinity College were separate, the Dean of Admissions of each school reported to the University Registrar, who reported to the Vice President of the Educational Division (now Provost). Each college may have had a committee on admissions. In 1961 William Brinkley was named Director of Admissions and probably Associate Registrar at the same time. The separate Deans of Admissions reported to him. In 1967 Robert Ballantyne was named Director of Admissions, and at this time, reporting shifted from the Registrar to an officer in the Provost's Office. In 1969 he reported to the Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education, James Price. By 1975 that title had changed to Vice Provost and Dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences. There was a major reorganization and retirement of admissions personnel with the merger of the Woman's College and Trinity College as of July 1, 1972. In 1978 the Director of Admissions appears to be reporting to an Assistant Provost with responsibility for Admissions, Financial Aid and Registration. In 1980 an organizational chart in a University Report uses the term Assistant Provost for Academic Support Services (Admission Records, Financial Aid, Academic Systems, Placement). However, this title was not found in a University Bulletin.
[Identification of item], Office of Undergraduate Admissions Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions Records was received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1973-1998.
Processed by University Archives staff
Re-processed by Kimberly Sims, September 2013
Encoded by Jill Katte, January 2005
Updated by Kimberly Sims, September 2013
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.