Guide to the Alspaugh Residence Hall Records, 1949 - 1979
Alspaugh Residence Hall is an undergraduate dormitory on the East Campus of Duke University. Records include events calendars, correspondence, subject files, notes, minutes, and newsletters. Major topics include undergraduate life at Duke University, residence halls, the Baldwin Federation, the Association of Independent Houses, and women college students. Materials date from 1949 to 1979.
- Alspaugh Residence Hall records 1949 - 1979
- Duke University. Alspaugh Residence Hall.
- 0.2 Linear Feet , 200 Items
- University Archives, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
Contains calendars of activities, lists of officers, meeting notes, subject files regarding living conditions and a food fight, general residence hall governance materials, some correspondence, and newsletters pertaining to Alspaugh Residence Hall, a Duke University dormitory.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The first Alspaugh Hall was built in 1902 on Duke University's East Campus, then Trinity College. The building was known as North Dormitory until September 1912, when it was named for Colonel Alspaugh, then Trinity's oldest living alumnus. The building was deconstructed in 1927, and rebuilt at Kittrell College in Kittrell, North Carolina.
The second Alspaugh Hall was completed and occupied in 1926. It was first known as Dormitory No. 2. Like the other dormitories in the Georgian quadrangle, Dormitory No. 2 was designed to accommodate approximately 110 persons and originally contained fifty single rooms, thirty double rooms, three parlors, a suite for the head of the house, kitchenette, pressing room, reception room, and offices. In 1930, the dormitory was again named for Colonel Alspaugh, when the opening of West Campus allowed what had been the Trinity College campus (now East Campus) to become the Woman's College of Duke University.
Alspaugh Residence Hall was part of the Baldwin Federation, a unifying body for advocacy and decision making for Alspaugh, Bassett, Brown, and Pegram, undergraduate residence halls on East Campus. There were six representatives from the houses, which also included fraternities Omicron Zeta and Beta Phi Zeta.
From around 1940 through the early 1980s, Alspaugh Residence Hall was home to undergraduate women. Alspaugh Residence Hall is located on East Campus between Lilly Library and Pegram Hall, adjacent to the tennis courts.
- Duke University. Association of Independent Houses
- Duke University. Alspaugh Residence Hall
- Duke University. Baldwin Federation
- Duke University -- Students
- Duke University -- Students -- Social conditions
- Dormitories -- North Carolina -- Durham
- Residence and education
- Student housing -- North Carolina -- Durham
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) -- History.
- Women college students -- North Carolina -- Durham
- Association of Independent Houses records. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Baldwin Federation records. (University Archives, Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Alspaugh Residence Hall Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Alspaugh Residence Hall Records was received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1981.
Processed by Emily Glenn
Completed January 2002
Encoded by Jill Katte, September 2003
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.