Menu

Guide to the Art Association Records, bulk 1930 - 1938

Abstract

The Duke University Art Association was formed by William K. Boyd in 1930. The Association planned and organized art exhibits, gallery talks, and other art appreciation activities on the Duke campus until the early 1940s. Collection includes minutes, correspondence, photographs, exhibit catalogs, lists of objects, membership lists, and related materials. Major subjects include faculty spouses, art appreciation, the Woman's College Library, the American Federation of Arts, the Carl Shurz Memorial Foundation for the Development of Cultural Relations Between the United States and Germany, the College Art Association, and the Southern States Art League. The bulk of the materials range in date from 1930 to 1938.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Art Association records, bulk 1930 - 1938
Creator
Duke University. Art Association.
Extent
1.0 Linear Feet, , 1000 Items
Repository
University Archives, Duke University
Location
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
Language
English.

Collection Overview

The Art Association Records include minutes, correspondence, photographs, exhibit catalogs, lists of objects, membership lists, and related materials. Major subjects include faculty spouses, art appreciation, the American Federation of Arts, the Carl Shurz Memorial Foundation for the Development of Cultural Relations Between the United States and Germany, the College Art Association, and the Southern States Art League.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

General information, 1921, 1931
Box 1
American Federation of Arts
Box 1
Art Shop, Greensboro, N.C.
Box 1
Boyd correspondence
Box 1
Brewer correspondence
Box 1
Business papers

Includes list of art objects in the Woman's College Library, including the Barber collection.

Box 1
Carl Shurz Memorial Foundation
Box 1
Carnegie Corporation
Box 1
Charleston Museum
Box 1
Clippings
Box 1
College Art Association
Box 1
Correspondence
Box 1
Ennis correspondence
Box 1
Jones correspondence
Box 1
Looney correspondence
Box 1
Mathewson correspondence
Box 1
Membership
Box 1
Minutes
Box 1
Museum of Modern Art
Box 1
North Carolina Inventory
Box 1
3 Photographs of artwork
Box 2
Price correspondence
Box 2
Pritchard correspondence
Box 2
Southern States Art League
Box 2
Financial materials
Box 2

Historical Note

In 1930, Duke University professor William K. Boyd, pursuing the early concept of a library-museum for the Woman's College Library, negotiated with Margaret L. Barber for a twenty-five year loan of a substantial part of her collection. Mrs. Barber, of Williamsburg, Missouri, spent her life collecting art and antiques. In a letter calling the organizing meeting in October 1930, Boyd wrote: "I have a feeling that the time has come for us to organize a Duke Art Club or Art League with the immediate objective of finding ways and means to purchase the paintings and books sent to us by Mrs. Barber."

In response to Boyd's letter, a group of prominent Duke faculty and administrators and their spouses met in the Woman's College Library on October 21, 1930 to discuss the organization of the Art League of Duke University. The meeting minutes state: "Dr. Boyd appointed the following executive committee to serve with him: Mrs. White, Mrs. Webb, Dr. R. L. Flowers, Mrs. Few, Dr. Harvie Branscombe, Mrs. Gross, Dr. Paul Baum, and Mrs. Griggs. The following officers were selected: W. K. Boyd, Chairman; Mrs. N. I. White, Vice-Chairman; Mrs. Lillian B. Griggs, Secretary-Treasurer." At one of the first meetings, members decided to change the name of the organization to the Art Association.

The Art Association continued to plan and organize exhibits, gallery talks, and other art events, until Boyd's death in 1938, after which the activities of the Art Association went into decline. However, the formal study of art at Duke University began with the establishment of the Department of Aesthetics, Art, and Music in 1942. The Barber Collection was displayed at the Woman's College Library until 1956, when the twenty-five year plan ended. At that time, Duke University purchased a few pieces from the Barber estate.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Dept. of Art and Art History records. (University Archives, Duke University.)
  • Duke Artists Series records. (University Archives, Duke University.)

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Art Association Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

The Art Association Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1971-1981.

Processing Information

Processed by University Archives staff

Completed 1994

Encoded by Jill Katte, June 2005

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.