Guide to the Virginia Passmore Beaujean Scrapbook, 1938-1942
Virginia Passmore Beaujean, a native of Nottingham, Pennsylvania, was a 1942 graduate of the Woman's College at Duke University. She was a member of the Kappa Sigma sorority, the Freshman "Y" Council, the Sophomore "Y" Council, the Woman's Glee Club, and was named to the Dean's List her Freshman and Sophomore years.
The scrapbook contains clippings, programs, catalogs, and other ephemera. Also present are artifacts and other assorted memorabilia. Due to its brittle condition the scrapbook has been disassembled with each page housed in a separate folder.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Beaujean, Virginia Passmore.
- Virginia Passmore Beaujean Scrapbook 1938-1942
- Language of Material
- 1.24 Linear Feet, 1 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
The scrapbook contains material pertaining to Beaujean's experience as a student of the Woman's College at Duke University with inclusive dates of 1938-1942. Material present includes material retained by Beaujean from Oxford High School in Nottingham, Pennsylvania including grade reports, her letter of admission to Duke, athletic and theatre ticket stubs and books, invitations and calling cards, Sigma Kappa sorority material, newspaper and magazine clippings, programs, and several artifacts.
Additional material includes a Women's Athletic Association Handbook, and Order of Service for Duke University Church, a program for the Southern High School Invitational Basketball Tournament played at Duke Gymnasium in 1940, and numerous receipts showing tuition, room and board, and laboratory fees. Also worthy of note is an October 18, 1938 letter from the President of Jarvis residence hall noting Beaujean's continuing disregard for the 11:30 PM lights-off rule and potential appearance before the House Committee if neglect continues. Due to brittle pages, the scrapbook had been disassembled and individual pages foldered separately.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the University Archives to use this collection.
Collection is open for research.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
Portions of these materials are restricted by donor request.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Virginia Passmore Beaujean, Class of 1942, entered the Woman's College of Duke University in the fall of 1938. She was a native of Nottingham in Chester County, Pennsylvania and active in student life on the campus of the Woman's College (now East Campus). Virginia Passmore Beaujean was a member of the Kappa Sigma sorority, the freshman and Sophomore "Y" Council, the Woman's Glee Club, the Choir, and the Dean's List.
- Odessa Massey scrapbook, 1924-1928 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Alice Craven scrapbook, 1915-1924 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Jarvis House Records, 1946-1981 (bulk 1966-1977) (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Maude Brown scrapbook, 1924-1937 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Virginia Hicks scrapbook, 1921-1925 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Woman’s College Oral History Project Records, 2003-2006 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Woman’s College Records, 1928-1974 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
[Identification of item], Virginia Passmore Beaujean Scrapbook, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Virginia Passmore Beaujean Scrapbook were received by the University Archives as a gift in 2008.
Processed by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Encoded by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Accession UA2008-0017 is described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.