Guide to the Reverend Dr. Clarice M. Bowman papers, 1928-1931
Reverend Clarice M. Bowman, a Duke alumnus, served in several student religious volunteer organizations during her time as a student. She was one of the first women to receive a degree from the School of Religion.
The collection includes printed material and form letters concerning student organizations. The collection ranges in date from 1928-1931.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Bowman, Clarice Margarette, 1910-
- Reverend Dr. Clarice M. Bowman papers, 1928-1931
- Language of Material
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 500 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Contains primarily printed material and form letters concerning the Student Volunteer Movement, the YWCA, other related religious organizations, and the Methodist Episcopal Church. As a Duke student, Rev. Bowman was active in North Carolina chapters of these movements, and the papers provide information regarding student religious life and activity in the period. The collection ranges in date from 1928-1931.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Rev. Dr. Clarice M. Bowman was a woman of the clergy. She graduated with B.A., B.D. and A.M. degrees from Duke University and was the Jonathan Fisher Professor Emeritus at Bangor Theological Seminary. She was one of the first women to receive a degree from the Duke School of Religion when she graduated in 1933. Bowman received the Divinity School's Distinguished Alumni Award in 1984. She died in 1998.
- Bowman, Clarice Margarette, 1910-.
- Duke University--History--20th century.
- Duke University. Divinity School.
- Duke University. School of Religion.
- Duke University--Religious activities.
- College students--North Carolina--Religious life--1928-1931.
- Methodist Episcopal Church. Board of Foreign Missions.
- Dept. of Religion records, 1954-1998, bulk, 1954-1978. (University Archives, Duke University. )
- Divinity School records, 1925-2005. (University Archives, Duke University. )
[Identification of item], Reverend Dr. Clarice M. Bowman papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Reverend Dr. Clarice M. Bowman papers were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1973.
Processed by Aaron Bluitt, November 2006
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, June 2007
Accession A73-150 is described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.