Guide to the Allan Murray Cartter Papers, 1955-1959
Allan M. Cartter was a professor of Economics and Dean of the Graduate School at Duke from 1959 to 1962.
The collection contains two book manuscripts, for The Redistribution of Income in Postwar Britain (1955) and The Theory of Wages and Employment (1959). The collection ranges in date from 1955-1959.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Cartter, Allan Murray.
- Allan Murray Cartter papers, 1955-1959
- Language of Material
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 250 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection contains manuscripts of two of Cartter's published books: The Redistribution of Income in Postwar Britain (1955) and The Theory of Wages and Employment (1959). Items were untied and foldered for processing. It ranges in date from 1955-1959.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Allan Murray Cartter was born in Plainfield, New Jersey in 1922. He received his B.A. from Colgate University in 1946, and his M.A. and Ph.D. from Yale University in 1949 and 1952, respectively. From 1942-1945, he served in the U.S. Army and in the Second Cavalry Group of the European Theater.
From 1959 to 1962, he served as both professor in the Duke Economics Department, and as Dean of the Graduate School. He left Duke in 1963 to join the faculty at New York University. At NYU, he served as chancellor from 1966 to 1972. Cartter's research specialties included national income analysis, labor and tax policy.
- News Service Biographical Files, 1960-2004. (Duke University, University Archives.)
- Biographical Reference Collection, 1972-2004. (Duke University, University Archives.)
- Photograph Collection, 1861-2006. (Duke University, Univeristy Archives)
- Graduate School Records, 1924-2002. (Duke University, University Archives.)
- Hoover (Calvin B.) Papers, 1929-1988 (bulk 1929-1968). (Duke University. University Archives.)
- Knight (Douglas M.) Records, 1949-1970. (Duke University, University Archives.)
- Lanning (John T.) Papers, 1926-1976. (Duke University, University Archives.)
[Identification of item], Allan Murray Cartter Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Processed by Jessica Wood, November 2006
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, January 2007
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.