Inventory of the Chapel Reference Collection, 1933-ongoing
The Chapel Reference Collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research. It includes subject files ordered alphabetically on various subjects relating to the Chapel. Some prominent subjects include: administrative history of the Chapel; the organs (Aeolian, Brombaugh, Flentrop); calendar of events; carillon; Chapel choir; sarcophagi; special services/events; weddings; and windows.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. University Archives.
- Chapel Reference Collection, 1933-ongoing
- Language of Material
- 2.1 Linear Feet, 2250 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Patrons must sign the Acknowledgement of Legal Responsibility and Privacy Rights form before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
History from the Duke Chapel website http://www.chapel.duke.edu/building/history.html
When James B. Duke selected the site for Duke University's West Campus, in 1925, he chose to locate the Chapel on the site's highest ridge. The Chapel was the first building planned for the new campus, but the last one to be completed. Construction started in 1930, was completed in 1935, and cost nearly $2.3 million. The Chapel began to be used before its stained-glass windows and other details were finished; commencement was held in the Chapel in 1932.
Although the Chapel was inspired by other buildings, including English cathedrals and the chapels of other American universities, it is not a copy of any other specific building. The architect was Julian Abele, chief designer with the Horace Trumbauer firm, of Philadelphia. America's first black architect of renown, Abele was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and in France. In addition to Duke's original West Campus, he designed the Georgian buildings on Duke's East Campus. Abele's other designs include the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Harvard's Widener Library, and mansions for James B. Duke.
- Building Reference collection, 1972-2004. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Chapel records, 1931-[ongoing]. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Chapel Sermons, 1954-1987 [sound recording] (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Facilities Management Department records, 1990-2006 (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Friends of Duke Chapel Records, 1973 - 1999 (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Minister to the University (Dean of the Chapel) records, 1940-1984 (University Archives, Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Chapel Reference Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Chapel Reference Collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.
Processed by Archives Staff, April 2008
Uptaded by Tom Harkins, April 2010
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, April 2008
Updated by Josh Larkin Rowley, February 2011
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.