Guide to the J. H. Chappell Collection, 1922-1927, 1967
J. H. Chappell graduated from Duke University in 1926.
The collection includes photographs, Trinity College and Duke University memorabilia, student notebooks, and other materials collected by Chappell during his years at Trinity College/Duke University. The collection ranges in date from 1922-1927, with one item dated 1967.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Chappell, John Herbert.
- J. H. Chappell collection, 1922-1927, 1967
- Language of Material
- 4.2 Linear Feet, approx. 100 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Chappell's collection contains quite a bit of Trinity College related material. One box includes a couple of Trinity College banners and pennants as well as pennants believes to be associated with Trinity Park High School. Also includes are Chappell's letters he earned in athletics. Of particular note is a pennant for the Hesperian Literary Society.
Additionally, the collection includes Chappell's admission card, class schedule cards for his four years, his membership certificate for the Order of the Tombs, grade reports, event fliers and programs, atheletics memorabilia including ticket booklets and schedules,Durham-specific business cards and advertisements, student notebooks and correspondence.
There are several photographs and negatives of Trinity/Duke athletes (football, baseball and track) as well as students playing in the snow on what is now East Campus. There is a panorama from 1925 of the Duke University student body and faculty as well as of company c. 13th engineers at Ft. Humphreys, V.A. (1927) in addition to a mounted photograph of a baseball team. The players are not uniform but a few are wearing caps with a "D" on them.
The collection ranges in date from 1922-1927, with one item dated 1967.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the University Archives to use this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
John Herbert Chappell, of Durham, N.C., graduated from Duke University in 1926. He was a student during the University's transition from Trinity College. While at Duke, Chappell participated in both freshman and varsity football and baseball (lettering in baseball) and class wrestling. He was also a member of the "D" Club (for lettered athletes) and the Order of the Tombs.
- Chappell, John Herbert.
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.)--Alumni and alumnae.
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.)--Students.
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.)--Baseball -- History -- 20th century.
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.). Hesperian Literary Society.
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.)--Sports.
- Duke University -- Alumni and Alumnae.
- Duke University -- Students.
- Duke University -- Sports.
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) Reference Collection (Duke University Archives)
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) Athletic Association Records (Duke University Archives)
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) Baseball Scorebook (Duke University Archives)
[Identification of item], J. H. Chappell Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The J. H. Chappell Collection was received by the University Archives as a gift in 2002.
Processed by Kimberly Sims, June 2009
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, June 2009
Accession A2002-0074 is described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.