Guide to the Duke University Church records, 1936-1985
The Duke University Church (Interdenominational) was formed in response to the desire for a campus church at the University. The Church was founded in 1938 and disbanded in 1985. Types of materials include correspondence, financial material, minutes, and reports. Major subjects include Duke University religious life, students, Christianity, and fellowship. Materials range in date from 1936-1989 (bulk 1950-1979). English.
- Record Group
- Duke University Church records
- Duke University. Duke University Church
- 3 Linear Feet, 2,500 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
This collection consists of the official records of the Duke University Church. The bulk of the material dates from 1950 to 1979, and consists of correspondence, financial material, minutes, and reports. Major subjects include: financial and budget plans, personal correspondence and notes of gratitude, scheduling and content of meetings, and the projects or proposed projects funded by the institution. Among the items of interest are: a volume of Duke Chapel Prayers, 1953 to 1956, selected by Barney Jones, and dedicated to Dean Herbert Herring; copies of the reports of the Duke University Religious Council, 1943/44 to 1961/62; and printed material concerning projects and causes the Church was involved with, including the Crossnore School (Crossnore, N.C.), and The American Farm School, (Thessaloniki, Greece).
Access to the Collection
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Use & Permissions
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
How to Cite
[Identification of item], Duke University Church Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Contains individual volumes of annual reports. Volumes contains information regarding the history, purpose, activities, projects, and reports of various committees of the Duke University Church for that year. The 1956-1957 and 1960-1961 volumes comprise the annual reports of the Duke University Religious Council as the Duke University Religious Council replaced the Duke University Church Board and the Student Religious Council in 1956.
Account books and receipt books in 13 volumes containing receipts of the Church's activities, gifts, and records of its expenses.
The Duke University Church (Interdenominational) was formed in early 1938 in response to the desire for a campus church at the University. The institution constituted the collaboration of students, faculty, and administrators who wanted to help "mold Christian character" at the University and make the student body more aware of the place of religion in life. The purpose of the Duke University Church was "to advance the kingdom of God in Duke University." Establishing religious life on campus and aiding in the coordination of religious activities became the primary goals of the institution. Membership in the Duke University Church was extended to individuals from many denominations, regardless of the University's Methodist roots. In 1956 the Church Board and the Student Religious Council were combined into the Duke University Religious Council, which assumed responsibility of the annual reports as of that year. The Duke University Church (Interdenominational) was disbanded in 1985.
- Divinity School records. (University Archives, Duke University. )
- Duke University Religious Council records. (University Archives, Duke University. )
Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.
- American Farm School (Greece)
- Crossnore School (Crossnore, N.C.)
- Duke University -- Religion
- Duke University -- History -- 20th century
- Duke University. Duke University Church
- Duke University -- Religious activities
- Duke University Church
The Duke University Church records was received by the University Archives as a transfer, 1970-1996.
Processed by Mary E. West
Encoded by Emily Glenn, April 2003