Guide to the Classical Club Records, 1910 - 1944
The Classical Club, founded in 1910, was a social academic club for male students and faculty of Trinity College (now Duke University). Female students joined the club in 1924. The club promoted interest in the language, literature, and art of ancient Greek and Roman cultures. Materials include minutes, constitutions, bylaws, a sketch, calendars, membership lists, correspondence, a draft of a paper, and clippings. Major subjects include Trinity College history, Duke University history, student groups, male college students, study of classical languages and appreciation of classical literature. Materials range in date from 1910 to 1944.
- Classical Club records 1910 - 1944
- Duke University. Classical Club.
- 0.5 Linear Feet , 15 Items
- University Archives, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
The Classical Club records include minutes, constitutions, bylaws, a sketch, calendars, membership lists, correspondence, a draft of a paper, and clippings. Major subjects include Trinity College history, Duke University history, student groups, male college students, study of classical languages and appreciation of classical literature. Materials range in date from 1910 to 1944.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The Classical Club was a social academic club composed of students interested in Greek and Latin language and culture. The exact date of the founding of the club is unknown. In May, 1910, there were ten members of the club. The group presented papers at bimonthly meetings, placed classical studies titles in the libraries, arranged panel discussions, and hosted visiting lecturers. One well-publicized event was a meeting where Professor A. R. Anderson of Duke University presented a paper on Virgil to commemorate the bimillennium of the poet's birth.
In 1924, the Parthenon Club of Trinity College, a women's club also interested in the classics, joined the men's Classical Club. In 1927, more women interested in classical studies created the Forum Club, and held joint meetings with the Classical Club. The Classical Club continued to be active at Duke University until sometime after 1944.
- Art, Classical
- Classical languages -- Study and teaching
- Classical literature -- Appreciation -- United States
- Classical literature -- Study and teaching
- College students -- Societies, etc.--North Carolina -- Durham
- Duke University. Classical Club.
- Duke University -- History
- Duke University -- Societies, etc.
- Duke University -- Students -- Societies, etc.
- Male college students -- United States -- North Carolina -- Durham
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) -- History
- Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) -- Students
- Parthenon Club records. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Eta Sigma Phi. Beta Rho chapter records. (University Archives, Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Classical Club Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Classical Club Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1976.
Processed by Emily Glenn
Completed January 2003
Encoded by Jill Katte, September 2003
Updated by Kimberly Sims, October 2010
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.