Inventory of the Department of Computer Science records, 1961-1978
The Department of Computer Science originally formed as the Computer Science Program in 1971. It became a department in 1973.
The files in this collection concern the origin and formation of the Department and include much information about the Duke University Computation Center (DUCC) and the Triangle Universities Computation Center (TUCC). Materials range in date from 1961-1978.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. Department of Computer Science.
- Department of Computer Science records, 1961-1978
- Language of Material
- 1.5 Linear Feet, 1500 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Contains materials regarding the origin and formation of the Department of Computer Science and includes reports, budgetary information, faculty biosketches, memos, minutes and miscellaneous items. Dates range from 1961-1978.
RESTRICTED: For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the director of the office of use and the University Archivist is required for use.
Patrons must sign the Acknowledgement of Legal Responsibility and Privacy Rights form before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
In off-site storage; 24 hours notice required for retrieval.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The Computer Science Program was initiated in January 1971. It was conceived to provide courses on the theory of computer design, capabilities and use. Although students could not major in computer science at the undergraduate level, graduate courses were taught, especially in conjunction with the Engineering and Mathematics programs. By the 1973-1974 academic year, the Computer Science Program had become the Department of Computer Science, which allowed students to major in computer science and obtain a B. S.
Department of Computer Science Chairs
|1971-1973||Thomas Muir Gallie, Jr., Director of the CSP|
|1973-1974||Merrill Lee Patrick|
|1974-1979||Donald W. Loveland|
|1979-1983||Merrill Lee Patrick|
|1983-1985||Thomas Muir Gallie, Jr.|
|1985-1992||Donald J. Rose|
|1992-1994||Donald W. Loveland|
- News Service Biographical Files, 1960-2004 (Duke University Archives)
- Thomas M. Gallie Papers, 1955-1972 (Duke University Archives)
- Biographical Reference Collection, 1972-2004 (Duke University Archives)
- Terry Sanford Records and Papers, 1945-1998 (Duke University Archives)
[Identification of item], Department of Computer Science records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Department of Computer Science records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1974, 1978.
Processed by Jessica Wood, July 2006
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, July 2006
Accessions A74-135, A78-138 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.