Guide to the Dining Services Reference Collection, 1945-2001
The collection contains clippings, flyers for events and facilities, guides and handbooks, memoranda and correspondence, newsletters, menus and prices, and recipes and other materials concerning Duke University's Dining Services. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. University Archives
- Dining Services Reference Collection, 1945-2001
- Language of Material
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 250 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
The collection contains clippings, flyers for events and facilities, guides and handbooks, memoranda and correspondence, newsletters, menus and prices, and recipes and other materials concerning Duke University's Dining Services.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
|1927||East Union opens – Board Cafeteria; "Dope Shop" snack bar opens in Crowell building|
|1930||West Union opens – 2 a la carte cafeterias|
|1946||Ted Minah becomes Food Services Director (1946-1974)|
|1957||Gilbert-Addoms Hall opens – Board Cafeteria|
|1965||the independent union, the Duke Employee Benevolent society was organized (February 1965); they affiliated with the AFSCME (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees)in Sept. 1965|
|1972||Merger of Woman's College and Trinity College|
|1974||Central Campus apartment completed – no dining facilities|
|1980||Mandatory Board eliminated on East Campus; electronic debit account implemented|
|1982||Bryan Center completed (1983 – first privatization initiative)|
|1984||Duke Card/non-traditional dining options available; enhancement projects completed on Central Campus bringing Uncle Harry's and The Pub.|
|1989||Dining Facilities retrenched to East Union – food court/cafeteria renovation; Gilbert-Addoms facility closed; "Dope Shop"closed|
|1993||First franchise brand (Li'l Dino Subs) and first national brand (Burger King) installed|
|1994||Levine Science Resource Center (LSRC) Dining Hall opens.|
|1995||the Marketplace on East Campus opens|
|2000||The Loop opens its doors; McDonald's opens in the Bryan Center|
|2001||Duke selects ARAMARK corp. to manage food services at eight campus dining locations including the Great Hall and the Marketplace|
|2005||The Refectory, a “green” environment-friendly eatery, opens in the Divinity School|
|2006||the Compass Group replaces ARAMARK as the dining management company.|
|2007||In July, the operation of West Campus' main dining area switched hands from Chartwells to Bon Appetit, a branch of the Compass Group; Faculty Commons changes its name to Upstairs@The Commons, and opens its doors to students.|
- Vice President for Business and Finance records, 1962-1985. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Office of the University Treasurer records, 1893-1982 (University Archives. Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Dining Services Reference Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Dining Services Reference Collection was compiled by University Archives staff from a variety of sources.
Processed by Archives Staff, January 2008
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, January 2008
Updated by Molly Bragg, July 2011
Accessions were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.