Preliminary Guide to the Duke Memorial Records, 1929 - 1936
The Duke Memorial was formed in 1929 to honor Washington, Benjamin N., and James B. Duke. The group worked on several projects, including building the Memorial Chapel in Duke Chapel, financing the purchase of Duke Homestead, and building a statue of James B. Duke. The collection consists mainly of financial documents, as well as general correspondence, minutes, and proposals and suggestions. Major topics include the construction of Memorial Chapel and the sarcophagi within, the purchase of Duke Homestead, and the financing of the James B. Duke Statue. Major correspondents include James A. Thomas, W. W. Flowers, and Alex H. Sands. English.
- Record Group
- Duke Memorial records
- 1929 - 1936
- Duke Memorial
- 4 Linear Feet, 4000 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
The materials within the collection are mainly financial documents, including bank statements, bank reports, bank correspondence, deposit records, account books, check registers, audit reports, and subscriber and sponsor lists and amounts donated. Other materials include general correspondence, minutes, and proposals and suggestions. The main topics within the collection are the raising and disbursement of funds for the Memorial projects, foremost of which was the construction of Memorial Chapel. Major correspondents include James A. Thomas, W. W. Flowers, and Alex H. Sands.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Unprocessed materials are closed pending processing.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The Duke Memorial was formed in 1929 to establish a permanent memorial to Washington, James B., and Benjamin N. Duke. Among the projects undertaken by the group were the building of the Memorial Chapel in Duke Chapel, the installation of sarcophagi within Memorial Chapel, the Duke Homestead, and the building of the James B. Duke statue. James A. Thomas appears to have been the moving force behind the formation of the group. From 1929 to the early 1930s, many in North Carolina and across the nation donated money to the Memorial, and became "sponsors" or "subscribers" to the cause. By 1936, the Memorial's main goals had been accomplished, and the Executive Committee reorganized the Memorial as a perpetual trust " to keep in the minds of the public the needs, both financial and otherwise, of Duke University . . ." (Minutes, April 22, 1936).
- Horace Trumbauer Architectural Drawings (Duke University Archives)
- William Preston Few Records (Duke University Archives)
[Identification of item], Duke Memorial Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Duke Memorial Records was received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1957 (A56-390).
Processed by University Archives Staff
Completed 1973; 2003
Encoded by Valerie Gillispie, July 30, 2003