Guide to the Robert Lee Durham Papers, 1888-1946
Robert Lee Durham was a star athlete who graduated from Trinity College in 1891.
His collection contains correspondence, manuscripts of orations and songs, clippings and other printed materials.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Durham, Robert Lee, 1870-1948.
- Robert Lee Durham papers 1888-1946
- Language of Material
- 0.4 Linear Feet, 400 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Contains correspondence, manuscripts of orations and songs composed for Trinity events, photographs, clippings, materials relating to plans for Duke University, a proposal submitted to the Duke family for a school of agriculture and for the choice of "Yale blue" as the school color. Some of Durham's correspondents include B. N. Duke, W. W. "Cap" Card, W. P. Few, R. L. Flowers, J. C. Kilgo as well as members of the Trinity football team. Also contains an inscribed copy of O Duke, Alma Mater from 1933.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Born in Shelby, NC in 1870, Robert Lee Durham was a member of the Trinity College championship football team of 1891, the same year of his graduation. He received a law degree in 1892 and subsequently practiced law until 1909, taking time out to fight in the Spanish-American War. During 1909-1919, he served as dean and mathematics instructor at various institutions including Davenport College, Centenary College, and Martha Washington College. In 1919, he became president of Southern Seminary, a school for girls in Buena Vista, VA. He was the brother of Stonewall and Plato Durham, and the father of Dr. Margaret Robey, all Trinity graduates. He died in 1948 after a brief illness.
- Durham, Robert Lee, 1870-1948.
- Duke, Benjamin Newton, 1855-1929
- Card, Wilbur Wade
- Few, William Preston, 1867-1940
- Flowers, Robert Lee
- Kilgo, John Carlisle, 1861-1922
- Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.) -- Football
- Duke University -- Songs and music
- Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.) -- History -- 19th century
- Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.) -- Students
- O Duke, alma mater, and other songs and verse of Trinity College and Duke University. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Bassett Affair collection, 1903-2003. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Flag and sunset bell. A class farewell at Trinity College, in North Carolina. (University Archives. Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Robert Lee Durham Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Robert Lee Durham Papers were received by the University Archives as a gift in 1982.
Processed by Jessica Wood, October 2006
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, November 2006
Accessions 74-154, 83-56 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.