Menu

Guide to the Educational Facilities Committee records, 1962-1986

Abstract

The Educational Facilities Committee at Duke University was created in 1962 as a standing committee of the University Committee on Long-Range Planning. The Educational Facilities Committee was appointed by the President and concerned itself with supplying adequate educational facilities to meet the needs of educational programs. In 1986, the Educational Facilities Committee and the Chancellor's Environmental Concerns Committee were combined to form the University Committee on Facilities and Environment. Committee chairs include Frank T. de Vyver (1962-1974), Frederick C. Joerg (acting 1969, 1972), George W. Williams (1974-1981), George Pearsall (acting 1977), and Calvin Ward (1981-1986). The collection consists of correspondence, memoranda, reports, minutes, clippings, charts, projections, blueprints, and maps of the Educational Facilities Committee. Major subjects include student housing and dining facilities, the Arts Center, landscaping, the Medical Center, the Art Museum, auditoria, libraries, space assignment and relocation, athletic facilities, and the University Center.

Descriptive Summary

Title
Educational Facilities Committee records 1962-1986
Creator
Duke University. Educational Facilities Committee.
Extent
5 Linear Feet , 5,000 Items
Repository
University Archives, Duke University
Location
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
Language
English.

Collection Overview

The collection consists of records relating to the building, renovation, and maintenance of the physical plant of the University, as addressed by the Committee. Correspondence, memoranda, reports (typed and annotated), minutes, clippings, charts, projections, blueprints, and maps comprise the collection. There exists some material that predates and postdates the span dates of this collection. Although most of the material was created during the general functioning of the Committee, there exists some material not produced by this organization. This material includes letters, reports, booklets, and clippings. Major subjects include student life (dorms, dining halls, student center), the Arts Center, landscaping, the Medical Center, the Art Museum, auditoria, libraries, space assignment and relocation, athletic facilities, and the University Union.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

1963-1964
Box 1
1964-1965
Box 1
1965-1966
Box 1
1967-1968
Box 1
1968-1969
Box 1
1969-1970
Box 1
1970-1971
Box 1
1971-1972
Box 1
1972-1973
Box 1
1973-1974
Box 1
1974-1975
Box 1
1975-1976
Box 1
1976-1977
Box 1
1977-1978
Box 1
1978-1979
Box 1
1979-1980
Box 1
1980-1981
Box 1
1981-1982
Box 1
1982-1983
Box 1
1983-1984
Box 1
1985-1986
Box 1
1966-1974
Box 1
1975-1986, undated
Box 1

Includes correspondence to and from the committee. The correspondence documents the spectrum of issues that the committee faced and was responsible for. Correspondence from 1960-1962 is of the Space Allocation Committee, the precursor of the Educational Facilities Committee. Major correspondents include the R. Taylor Cole, Chairman and member of the Long Range Planning Committee; Marcus E. Hobbes, member of the Long Range Planning Committee; Paul M. Gross, Vice President for Education; A. Hollis Edens, President of the University; Deryl J. Hart, President of the University; Frank T. DeVyver, Chairman of the Educational Facilities Committee; Alan K. Manchester, Dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences; Terry Sanford, President of the University; George W. Williams, Chairman; N. Allison Haltom, Secretary of the University; Calvin Ward, Assistant Provost; James Ward, University Architect; Douglas Knight, President of the University; Thomas Hayes, University Architect; H. Keith H. Brodie, President of the University; Everett Hopkins, Vice President of Institutional Advancement; faculty and staff of the University; contractors; and architects.

Arranged chronologically.

1960-1969
Box 1
1970-1976
Box 1
1977-1986, undated
Box 1

Alphabetically arranged by building and subject.

Allen Building, 1962-1986
Box 1
Alumni Affairs/Admissions House, 1979-1980
Box 1
American Dance Festival, 1979
Box 1
Animal Behavior Station, 1975
Box 1
AROD (North) Building, 1962-1986
Box 1
Art Building, 1975-1980
Box 1
Arts Center, 1962-1986
[5 folders]
Box 1
Art Library, 1969
Box 1
Art Museum (Science Building), 1967-1980
Box 1
Asbury House, 1965-1974
Box 1
Audio-Visual Aids, 1964-1967
Box 1
Auditoria, 1964-1975
Box 1
Baldwin Auditorium, 1964-1977
Box 1
Mary Duke Biddle Music Building, 1968-1974
[3 folders]
Box 2
Biological Science Building, 1977-1980
Box 2
Branson Theatre, 1975
Box 2
Bivens Building, 1974-1980
Box 2
Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees, 1969-1976
[2 folders]
Box 2
Card Gymnasium, 1963-1966
Box 2
Carr Building, 1968-1980
Box 2
Chapel, 1972-1982
Box 2
Coffee House, 1966
Box 2
Commission on Faculty Reorganization, 1952
Box 2
Committee on Student Life, 1969
Box 2
Community Health Sciences Building (Pickens), 1968
Box 2
Computer Printouts [Room Specifications], 1967-1983

This file contains printed specifications of all rooms on campus. The printouts present information such as the building location of the room, floor that the room is on, the department that has possession of the room, the height, length, width, square feet, and the use of the room. This file also contains a key, which describes how the rooms are classified and used.

Oversize Box 5
Cool Storage Building, 1975
Box 2
Courses of Independent Study, undated
Box 2
Crowell Hall, 1977-1980
Box 2
Denominational Centers, 1972-1980
Box 2
Dormitories, East Campus, 1962-1984
Box 2
Dormitories, West Campus, 1962-1986
[2 folders]
Box 2
Duke Press, 1962-1967
Box 2
Duke University Transit Buses, 1977-1979
Box 2
East Campus, 1962-1986
Box 2
East Campus Gymnasium, 1962-1980
Box 2
East Campus Tennis Courts, 1979
Box 2
East Campus Physical Education Building, 1964
Box 2
East Campus Service Area, 1980
Box 2
East Campus Student Center, 1963-1964
Box 2
East Duke Building, 1962-1980
Box 2
Education Professions Development Act
Box 2
Emeriti Offices, 1975-1981
Box 3
Engineering Building, 1962-1968
[2 folders]
Box 3
Extramural Activities, 1949-1950
[2 folders]
Box 3
Faculty Club, 1974-1976
Box 3
Robert Lee Flowers Building, 1967-1980
Box 3
Fuqua School of Business, 1985
Box 3
Gothic Dining Halls, 1966-1967
Box 3
Graduate School of Business Administration, 1977-1980
Box 3
Graduate Affairs Committee, 1962-1963
Box 3
Gray Building, 1966-1980
Box 3
Paul M. Gross Chemical Laboratory, 1964-1967
Box 3
Handicap Access, 1978
Box 3
Elizabeth P. Hanes House, 1966-1967
Box 3
Houses on Campus Drive, 1965-1980
Box 3
Houses on Erwin Road, 1964-1980
Box 3
Institutional Advancement Facilities, 1963
Box 3
Intramural Athletic Programs and Recreation, 1964-1965
Box 3
Landscaping, 1962-1980
[2 folders]
Box 3
Language Building, 1973-1979
Box 3
Law School Building, 1977-1983
Box 3
Maps, 1962-1986
Box 3
Marine Laboratory (Beaufort, N.C.), 1963
Box 3
Medical Center, 1962-1986
Box 3
Old Chemistry Building, 1962-1986
[4 folders]
Box 3
William R. Perkins Library Building, 1962-1980
[2 folders]
Box 3
Physics/Mathematics Building, 1972-1977
Box 3
Plaques and Memorials, 1962-1986
[3 folders]
Box 3
CRS Planning Study, 1964
Box 3
Post Office, 1974
Box 3
Pre-architectural planning program, 1964-1986
Box 3
Pre-Fab Houses, 1975-1976
Box 3
Science Building, 1963
Box 3
Signs and Signage, 1962-1983
Box 3
Siting Committee (Educational Facilities Committee), 1975
Box 4
Social Science Building, 1962-1980
Box 4
Sociology-Psychology Building, 1963-1978
Box 4
Southgate Craft Center, 1978
Box 4
Sculpture Studio, 1979
Box 4
Space, 1962-1986
[2 folders]
Box 4
Traffic and Parking, 1979-1981
Box 4
Trailers, 1984
Box 4
Trent Drive Hall; Graduate Center, 1963
Box 4
Trinity College Bell, 1982-1983
Box 4
University Center, 1962-1978
[4 folders]
Box 4
West Duke Building, 1965-1980
Box 4
West Union Building, 1963-1978
Box 4
Whitehead Institute, 1980
Box 4
Work Status Reports, 1975-1980
[2 folders]
Box 4

This series contains twelve bound and unbound reports; some are internal, while others were prepared by sources outside of the University.

University Union, Schematic Design Program, November 1972
Box 4
University Planning Committee Report of the Physical Facilities Subcommittee, April 1972
Box 4
Report of the Subcommittee on the University Union, September 1971
Box 4
Duke University Planning Study, 1966
Box 4
State of North Carolina Higher Education Comprehensive Planning Program, Facilities Inventory and Utilization Study, 1976
Box 4
State of North Carolina Higher Education Comprehensive Planning Program, Facilities Inventory and Utilization Study, 1979
Box 4
Duke Planning Study, Phase I (draft), [1963]
Box 4
Duke University Development Campaign Considerations of Basic Policy and General Strategy, 1950-1951
Box 4
Preliminary Draft of the Space and Program Study of the Duke University School of Medicine and Hospital, 1952
Box 4
Duke University Business School Program: A New Facility for Graduate Business Education, 1978
Box 4
Duke: A Summary of the Duke University Development Program, [1965]
Box 4
Profile of Duke University, 1956-1976
Oversize Box 5
Computer printouts [room specifications], 1967-1983

This file contains printed specifications of all rooms on campus. The printouts present information such as the building location of the room, floor that the room is on, the department that has possession of the room, the height, length, width, square feet, and the use of the room. This file also contains a key, which describes how the rooms are classified and used.

Profile of Duke University, 1956-1976

Historical Note

The Educational Facilities Committee was constituted on October 24, 1962 as a standing committee of the University Committee on Long-Range Planning. The committee was appointed by the President and consisted of two faculty members, the Vice Provost for Professional Schools, the Assistant Provost of Planning and Institutional Studies, the Secretary of the University, the Business Manager (Executive Secretary) and the Assistant Superintendent of Duke Hospital. The President of the University and the Provost served as ex-officio members. Frank T. de Vyver, Vice Provost for Professional Schools and Professor of Economics (and Chair of that Department) served as the Committee's first chairman.

According to the original charge, the Educational Facilities Committee was concerned with the consideration of educational programs and needs to be accommodated by new or renovated facilities for educational purposes. In these duties the committee reported to the Long-Range Planning Committee. The Committee also assumed the duties of the then-defunct Space Allocations Committee and reported directly to the President of the University. By 1970, the Committee had broadened its definition to consider and review all matters relating to the physical and functional changes in the buildings and grounds of the University. The Committee also dealt with the task of naming, and in certain cases renaming, buildings, lecture halls, corridors, exhibition galleries, and rooms. The Committee also served as a board of appeals for space arguments within the University.

During the Committee's existence several members of the University faculty served as Chairman. These include: Frank T. de Vyver, Vice Provost, who served from 1962-74, Vice Chair of the committee, Frederick C. Joerg, Professor of Forest Management, served as acting chair in 1969 and 1972, George W. Williams, Professor of English, (1974-1981), George Pearsall, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, who served as acting chair in 1977, and Calvin Ward, Vice Provost (1981-1986).

The Committee authorized a number of subcommittees including, the Arts Center, Audio-Visual, Auditoria, Campus Planning Study, Chemistry Building, Dormitories (East and West Campuses), East Campus (Woman's College), Engineering Building, Graduate Affairs, Facilities for Institutional Advancement, Landscaping and Grounds, Men's Graduate Center, Traffic and Parking, University Center, and West Campus Physical Education Committees. In 1986, during the presidential administration of H. Keith H. Brodie, the Educational Facilities Committee and the Chancellor's Environmental Concerns Committee were combined to form the University Committee on Facilities and Environment.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Frank Traver DeVyver papers. (University Archives, Duke University. )
  • Calvin Lucian Ward papers. (University Archives, Duke University. )
  • George W. Williams papers. (University Archives, Duke University. )
  • University Committee on Long-Range Planning records. (University Archives, Duke University. )

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Educational Facilities Committee Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

The Educational Facilities Committee records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1975-1987.

Processing Information

Processed by Torrence N. Thomas

Completed May 1999

Encoded by Emily Glenn, April 2003

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.