Preliminary Guide to the School of Engineering Records, 1931 - 1998
Contains the records of the School of Engineering at Duke University from 1931 to 1998. Includes records of the Department of Electrical Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Engineering Student Government, and the Engineering Alumni Association. Type of materials include biographical files, general subject files, correspondence, photographs, clippings, rosters, minutes, reports, proposals, course descriptions, memoirs, honors, and vitae. Major subjects include Duke University, students, School of Engineering, the study and teaching of science and engineering, and scientific research.
- School of Engineering Records, 1931 - 1998.
- Duke University. School of Engineering
- 50 Linear Feet, , 50,000 Items
- University Archives, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult University Archives, Duke University.
Contains the records of the School of Engineering pertaining to courses of instruction, employees, research, students, and general management. Materials in subject files are roughly organized by topics. Engineering Alumni files are largely unordered. Faculty and staff biographical files are ordered alphabetically by last name. Some boxes are restricted.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Including lectures, personnel.
Includes Driver Education Research and Training, Admissions Office, ASDU, Board of Visitors, Engineering Alumni Association.
Includes engineering faculty (1971-1975), engineering student government, graduate studies, high school symposium.
Includes minority applicants, patent policy, orientation, promotion and tenure
Includes A Plan of Action, faculty research, 1971-1976.
Includes sponsored research, symposium, traffic commission, trustees.
MacElduff retirement memory book, includes some publications and ECPD accreditation
Includes summaries of sponsored research, research history, long range planning, development of Engineering at Duke University, Board of Visitors.
Includes ECPD, PENC, accreditation for civil engineering, Engineers Joint Council, Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Tau Sigma.
Includes Self-study (1965), ECPD (1971-1979), and NC Board of Science and Technology.
Includes bound volumes of Executive Committee and Administrative Council meeting minutes
Includes vitae, clippings, photographs, proposals, and some correspondence.
Includes minutes, correspondence, Engineer's Show notes, West Campus Community Council
Includes minutes, correspondence, reports, student papers, subject files, notes of research activity, and faculty meeting minutes.
Includes minutes, correspondence, reports, student papers, memos, grant reports, reports of research activities, and Babbling Brooks newsletter for Engineering Alumni.
Includes Alumni Council meeting minutes, honorary degrees.
Includes 50th reunion directory, awards, newsletters, Alumni Council meeting minutes, some correspondence to alumni
The School of Engineering traces its history back to 1851 when the catalogue for Normal College, the forerunner of Trinity College and Duke University, advertised a Classical course which included surveying in the sophomore year as well as architecture and engineering for seniors. Similar offerings characterized instruction in the subject of engineering throughout the 73 year period of the institution's operation as Trinity College. When Trinity College because Duke University in 1924, Engineering instruction underwent a period of vigorous development.
The School of Engineering at Duke is currently primarily housed in its own two buildings: Hudson Hall (fondly known as Old Red) and the modern Teer Building. It also shares space with other science facilities in the Levine Science Research Center which is separate from the Engineering Buildings. The School of Engineering is composed of the four departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science. There are also shared research facilities and joint research activities with numerous other departments including Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics and Medicine.
The School of Engineering houses the prestigious National Science Foundation Center for Advanced Cardiovascular Technology, which is an international leader in the application of Engineering to Medicine, and the Vesic Engineering Library in the Teer Building.
- Civil engineering--North Carolina.
- Duke University.
- Duke University. Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Duke University. Dept. of Electrical Engineering
- Duke University. Engineering Alumni Association--Directories.
- Duke University. School of Engineering--History.
- Duke University. School of Engineering--Alumni and alumnae--Directories.
- Duke University--Students.
- Electric engineering.
- Engineering--Study and teaching (Graduate)--United States.
- Engineering--Study and teaching--North Carolina--Durham.
- Engineering students--United States.
- Environmental engineering.
- Graduate students in science--United States.
- Graduate students in engineering--United States.
- Science--Study and teaching--North Carolina--Durham.
- Science--Study and teaching (Graduate)--United States.
- DukEngineer [serial]. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Report to the National Science Foundation covering development grant GE 2558 to the School of Engineering, Duke University, June 29, 1963-December 31, 1967. Submitted by J. L. Meriam, 1968. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- School of Engineering, reference collection (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Small Collections, School of Engineering, Engineering Club (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Biró, Péter. Means Without End: the Birth of the Duke School of Engineering 1887-1966, 1991. (University Archives, Duke University)
- Duke University. Task Force on Science and Engineering. Report of the Task Force on Science and Engineering at Duke University : submitted to the Provost, May 5, 1994, 1994. (University Archives, Duke University)
[Identification of item], School of Engineering Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Received 1976. School of Engineering, Subject files of Associate Dean Edward K. Kraybill. Accession number: 76-32 (Boxes 1-6)
Received 1976. School of Engineering, Subject files of Dean Charles R. Vail. Accession number: 76-32 (Boxes 7-15)
Received 1978 and 1983. School of Engineering, Office of the Dean, alphabetical subject files. Accession numbers: A83-62, A78-143 (Boxes 16-28)
Received 1989. School of Engineering, Office of the Dean, faculty and staff biographical files. Accession numbers: A89-006 (Box 29)
Received 1993 and 1996. School of Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Accession numbers: A93-24, A93-98, 96-107. Also received 1982. Engineering Student Government. Accession numbers: A82-41 (Box 30)
Received 1984, 1985, 1988, 1991, 1999. School of Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering. Accession numbers: A84-14, A85-93, A88-038, A91-62, A99-36 (Box 31)
Received 1977, 1979, 1994. School of Engineering, Engineering Alumni Association. Accession numbers: A77-27, A79-21, A94-115, A94-132 (Boxes 32-33)
Received 1983. School of Engineering, Office of the Dean, alphabetical subject files. Accession numbers: A83-62 (Boxes 34-36)
Processed by Emily Glenn
Completed January 15, 2003
Encoded by Valerie Gillispie, May 27, 2003
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.